How to use split method?

I'm trying to use split method and here is my sample code.When I use irb I gett following output

irb(main):001:0> result = "OK:1234" => "OK:1234" irb(main):002:0> result.split(':') => ["OK", "1234"] irb(main):003:0> result[1] => 75

I am not able to figure out when am trying to access 2nd element of the result array, why does it return "75", instead of "1234".

Am I missing something over here? Any help is much appreciated

Thanks, Sushil

I'm trying to use split method and here is my sample code.When I use irb I gett following output

irb(main):001:0> result = "OK:1234" => "OK:1234" irb(main):002:0> result.split(':') => ["OK", "1234"] irb(main):003:0> result[1] => 75

You need to assign the result of the split to something:

irb(main):002:0> result = result.split(':')

Otherwise your "result[1]" operation is returning the code of the second character of the original "OK:1234" string.

BTW This seems to be a purely Ruby question, and nothing to do with Rails.

Because 75 if the character code of the second character in the string. Use split with a bang intead (split!) if you wish to change the variable itself.

why does it return "75", instead of "1234".

Because 75 if the character code of the second character in the string.

Correct identification of the problem.

Use split with a bang intead (split!) if you wish to change the variable itself.

Incorrect solution (unless you've overloaded Ruby with your own split! method) http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/String.html#M000803

Thanks for your help. I was not assigning the result of split.

I know this is simple Ruby question, but I was looking for a quick help and that' why posted my question in this group. I am not a member of "Ruby" group.

Thanks agian, Sushil

SushilKarwa wrote:

Thanks for your help. I was not assigning the result of split.

I know this is simple Ruby question, but I was looking for a quick help and that' why posted my question in this group. I am not a member of "Ruby" group.

That doesn't make it OK to ask off-topic questions here.

Thanks agian, Sushil

Best,