How to split a array

hey everyone i want to split the array.This is the out put when i print array "Khamar Md,2 hrs: 5 min,Accounts,Gandhinagar" and i wanna split them and i want to print them in different columns in a table. <%x=Array.new%>     <%x=@late_commers.split(",")%> <% x.each do |late_commer| %> <td><%= late_commer.at(0) %></td> <%end%>

when i use the about code i get Khamar Md,2 hrs: 5 min,Accounts,Gandhinagar in one column only . i want them in different columns like Name | Time | Dept | Loc

This works for me. No need to declare x as Array.new.. that's going to happen when you assign it the value of late_commers.split

Why the late_commer.at(0) if late_commer is the value of an individual string? Are you sure that late_commers is a string to begin with?

irb(main):001:0> x = "This, is, a, test" => "This, is, a, test" irb(main):002:0> y = x.split(",") => ["This", " is", " a", " test"] irb(main):003:0> y.each do |z| irb(main):004:1* puts z irb(main):005:1> end This is a test => ["This", " is", " a", " test"] irb(main):006:0>

honey ruby, c'mon.. Did you know about such things like controllers? Passing whole work with arrays in views it's a bad idea.

# app/controllers/my_controller.rb class MyController < ApplicationController    def commers      @late_commers = "Khamar Md,2 hrs: 5 min,Accounts,Gandhinagar".split(",")    end end

# app/views/my/commers.html.erb .. <table> .. <% @late_commers.each do |late_commer| %>    <td><%= late_commer %></td> <%end%> .. </table> ..

No need to declare x as Array.new.

You're right. There is no need to declare it case split returning an array.

Why the late_commer.at(0) if late_commer is the value of an individual string? Are you sure that late_commers is a string to begin with?

Greg, +1 honey, you're trying to get each item(that is a string object in this case) from array. And it doesn't have such method like 'at'