How to stop ruby escaping javascript?

Hi all.

If In my view I have:

<%= text_field_tag('name','',:onfocus => "for (var i=1;i<99999;i++){};" %>

I'd expect to have this html:

<input name="name" onfocus="for (var i=1;i<99999;i++){};" />

instead I have:

<input name="name" onfocus="for (var i=1;i&lt;99999;i++){};" />

And obviously the javascript code does not work...

I also tried this: <%= text_field_tag('name','',:onfocus => "for (var i=1;i<99999;i++){};".html_safe %>

but the output is the same

Thanks to all.

Hi

Only one solution you should use method ‘tag’ directly

https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/39b9c943b7ec5181c19461d319d8c610ea1bf941/actionpack/lib/action_view/helpers/tag_helper.rb#L65

Because escape = true by default for ‘text_field_tag’ https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/c091fae21f32250b19475f124c3b680dbbc163d9/actionpack/lib/action_view/helpers/form_tag_helper.rb#L170

P.S: Do not use inline JS .

Max Shytikov wrote in post #1084457:

Only one solution you should use method 'tag' directly

Thank you, This works!

But finally I ended making a

getElementById("name").onfocus = ...

on load instead of changing all my text_field_tag with tag

P.S: Do not use inline JS .

You're right, but my problem is that I have ruby code in rhtml that generates css and javascript codes. These codes are not static but depend on ruby variables values.

I can't figure out how to pass a ruby variable into an external css or js file...

So I have to keep all the code in one big (sigh!) rhtml...

Sam Pei wrote in post #1084545:

Max Shytikov wrote in post #1084457: I can't figure out how to pass a ruby variable into an external css or js file...

The simplest way is to not pass the data to JavaScript, but rather get the value from the DOM using JavaScript/jQuery. This is accomplished by using HTML5 data attributes.

Say you have a Ruby variable x:

HTML

Robert Walker wrote in post #1084592:

Sam Pei wrote in post #1084545:

Max Shytikov wrote in post #1084457: I can't figure out how to pass a ruby variable into an external css or js file...

The simplest way is to not pass the data to JavaScript, but rather get the value from the DOM using JavaScript/jQuery. This is accomplished by using HTML5 data attributes.

Say you have a Ruby variable x:

HTML ------------ <div id="my_div" data-x="my_ruby_value">My content</div>

JavaScript ------------ function myFunction() {   var x = $('#my_div').data("x");   // Do something with x }

Ryan Bates did a Railscasts episode on a few techniques to keep your JavaScript unobtrusive and yet still have access to your Ruby data:

#324 Passing Data to JavaScript - RailsCasts

Thank you, I am doing so.

But $('#my_div').data("x") is not working form me, I had to do this:

HTML: <div id="my_div" data-x='<%= my_ruby_var %>'>

JS: var div=document.getElementById('my_div'); var x = div.getAttribute("data-x");

Btw, I think I could remove all Javascript code by rhtml by using this.

But what about css? Could something like that be done with css?

I have inline css with the :style attribute where I put my ruby variable: (...) :style => "width:" + my_ruby_var + "px" (...)

If i want to do a separate css file, how can I access to this ruby variable from inside the .css ?

Thank You