How to move rails application from one server to another server

Hi all,

I am newbie to ruby on rails, i want to move rail application from one server to another servers.

can you please help me.

kishan kumar katamala wrote in post #1116674:

Hi all,

I am newbie to ruby on rails, i want to move rail application from one server to another servers.

can you please help me.

You need to investigate a proper application deployment strategy. You should not have to "move" an app from one server to another. Instead you need a script to deploy your app to the new server.

Many developers use Capistrano to mange their Rails deployments:

Rails apps should be contained within a single folder, but there's no way to guess what all you need to configure on your server to make it ready to run your Rails application. You've given no details on what technologies (e.g. database server, web server, etc.) you are using to run your app.

To understand how rails apps work, so that you can work out what you need to do for your particular application, work right through a good rails tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online).

Colin

Robert Walker wrote in post #1116678:

kishan kumar katamala wrote in post #1116674:

Hi all,

can you please help me.

You need to investigate a proper application deployment strategy. You should not have to "move" an app from one server to another. Instead you need a script to deploy your app to the new server.

Many developers use Capistrano to mange their Rails deployments: GitHub - capistrano/capistrano: A deployment automation tool built on Ruby, Rake, and SSH.

Rails apps should be contained within a single folder, but there's no way to guess what all you need to configure on your server to make it ready to run your Rails application. You've given no details on what technologies (e.g. database server, web server, etc.) you are using to run your app.

sorry for the late reply, Existing application is running on apache web server, database mysql. can you please let me, what all needs to be installed in new servers before moving the rail applications. *like how to know which all gems the old server is using. *will it be problem if i install higher version of gems/ruby *which all config files i need to modify.

And also can you point if there are any webpages which contains step by step procedure of achieving this task.

Have you done what I originally suggested (and to which you did not respond) which is to work through a tutorial such as railstutorial.org, which will help you to understand the basics of rails and answer several of the questions above.

Colin