How to get ruby running on a webserver

Hi, I have purchased a VPS that has WHM cpanel. I have logged into the root of my system using putty and installed ruby 1.9.3 via rvm and rails 3.2.9. I have created a website in cpanel that has created a public_html directory that is live and working on the web. I then created a simple ruby website called blog in the public_html directory. My question is how do I get the ruby application to run when someone visits mysite.com/blog.

I have installed passenger but am confused if that is the best option to run rails applications.

I'm a total novice and have no idea what im doing so any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

hi stone,

i think this article might help you. http://articles.slicehost.com/2008/5/6/ubuntu-hardy-apache-rails-and-thin

Passenger is a great option, and makes it really straightforward to stand up a Rails site on an Apache server. If you've already installed it and added the lines of code that the installer gave you to your master apache.conf file (the ones that set the PASSENGER_RUBY environment variable), then you will only need to:

1. Place the contents of your Rails app directory inside your public_html file, so the top level item you can see is /public_html/app, and

2. Edit your virtual host's conf file so the root is /path/to/public_html/public rather than /path/to/public_html. Note that you'll have to change this on two different lines in a standard conf file.

Restart your server, and you're done.

Here's an example conf file for one of my ghosts:

<VirtualHost *:80>   ServerAdmin me@example.com   ServerName railsapp.example.com   DocumentRoot /data/www/railsapp/public   <Directory /data/www/railsapp/public>     Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks -MultiViews     AllowOverride All     Order allow,deny     allow from all   </Directory>

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,   # alert, emerg.   LogLevel warn

CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

</VirtualHost>

Walter