how to encrypt password in php

Hi,

im migrating a website from php to rails and devise. There is a user table with password that are not encrypted. I made already a script in php to migrate to data to new database, but I cant figure how to encrypt password so i will work with devise. I foudn different solution on google, but one was working. Maybe I missed one ? :wink:

thanks

Hi, im migrating a website from php to rails and devise. There is a user table with password that are not encrypted. I made already a script in php to migrate to data to new database, but I cant figure how to encrypt password so i will work with devise. I foudn different solution on google, but one was working. Maybe I missed one ? :wink:

Rather than doing that, why not put the unencrypted password field in the database for a moment, then use Devise to encrypt it before dropping that column. Seems like it would have a better chance of getting the encryption right.

Walter

How about migrating your user table using ActiveRecord? I can get the data of a user from the old DB in some way, and migrate into the new DB using this :

User.create(email: 'test@test.com', password: 'unencrypted password from old db', password_confirmation :'same_password')

I'm a bit leary of doing that sort of thing in a schema migration; it's something which cannot readily be rolled back, nor is it something that will give you usefullness if you someday need to rebuild your schema.rb from scratch...