how to display the images in browser other than the storage path i.e.., public folder (ASAP)

hi i am having a doubt in changing the path for attached file i.e…,for uploading photos and files …by default the path is “:rails_root/public/system/” and i want to change the path as ~/apps/Blog/data/attached/

BLOG refers to my project app name

after making the changes the image or file i saving but it is not displaying in the browser

can any one help me out in writing the correct PATH and URL

these are modified Path and Url

has_attached :photo,

path: ~/apps/Blog/data/attached/:attachment/:id/:style/:filename",

url: /~/apps/Blog/data/attached/:attachment/:id/:style/:filename"

thanks in advance who ever help me

Normally in a rails app only files under your_app/public are accessible directly. If you want to access files elsewhere then you will have to do clever things with apache or other webserver to achieve this.

Colin

i didnt get you… how to change paper clip default url …

i didnt get you... how to change paper clip default url ....

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert your reply at appropriate points in the previous message. Thanks.

I don't use paperclip but my understanding that it is not normally possible to save outside of the public folder.

Colin

Add the path to your assets: config.assets.paths.push(File.expand_path("~/my/path"))

i didnt get you… how to change paper clip default url …

hi i am having a doubt in changing the path for attached file i.e…,for

uploading photos and files …by default the path is

“:rails_root/public/system/” and i want to change the path as

~/apps/Blog/data/attached/

BLOG refers to my project app name

after making the changes the image or file i saving but it is not displaying

in the browser

can any one help me out in writing the correct PATH and URL

these are modified Path and Url

has_attached :photo,

path: ~/apps/Blog/data/attached/:attachment/:id/:style/:filename",

url: /~/apps/Blog/data/attached/:attachment/:id/:style/:filename"

Colin is 50% right. You can use send_data to use rails to send files which are not in the public folder or, as Colin

suggested, use apache to serve them.

But for your specific question, you should look at https://github.com/thoughtbot/paperclip#understanding-storage

:path option is where you save the file

:url option is the url used to access the image

to use this in a view, use the url method

image_tag blog.photo.url

i didnt get you... how to change paper clip default url ....

> > hi i am having a doubt in changing the path for attached file > i.e..,for > uploading photos and files ..by default the path is > ":rails_root/public/system/" and i want to change the path as > ~/apps/Blog/data/attached/ > > BLOG refers to my project app name > > after making the changes the image or file i saving but it is not > displaying > in the browser > > can any one help me out in writing the correct PATH and URL > > these are modified Path and Url > > has_attached :photo, > path: ~/apps/Blog/data/attached/:attachment/:id/:style/:filename", > url: /~/apps/Blog/data/attached/:attachment/:id/:style/:filename"

Colin is 50% right.

Better than 0% I suppose :slight_smile:

Colin