How much ruby should I know prior to learning rails?

Hi :slight_smile:

I've been reading Chris Pine's Learn to program for about a month now and I'm not done yet... I'm just beyond half-way through the book I'm yet to learn Reading and Writing, Saving and Loading, Classes, Blocks and Procs... Must I necessarily finish these before attempting to learn rails or I can go ahead to start learning rails alongside learn the "remainder" of ruby? If I go ahead to learn rails with my current knowledge, will I meet any major difficulties or I'm just going to be fine...

Thank you :slight_smile: Sasogeek http://sasogeek.com

As long as you have got a basic understanding, and provided you brain capacity can support it, then when you get to the point that you are getting bored with just learning Ruby then start on Rails too. Just don't forget to carry on with the more detailed aspects of Ruby at the same time.

Having said that and re-read your post, I suggest that you are reading the wrong book. How can one get half way through a book on Ruby (if that is what it is) without learning about classes and blocks. I cannot see how you can write anything worthwhile without a knowledge of these.

Colin

I'd say the better you know ruby so easier will be to learn rails, but you don't need to be a ruby ace to start learning rails. As long as you feel comfortable with blocks, iterators and the "ruby way" of doing things, you won't find major obstacles in rails. Also, rails has its own concepts an complexity which shouldn't be left aside until you get fully ruby proficient, specially if learning rails is your actual purpose.

Thanks a lot, and yes rails is the main reason I started learning ruby :slight_smile: I guess I have to read rather quickly and catch up faster to classes and blocks and check out other books if it helps then start with rails :slight_smile: thanks again