How many people are using Ruby now?

I enjoyed the Linux Counter (http://counter.li.org/) in the early days of Linux adoption and so when we had some free time, one of my team tossed together a little app for registering and counting Ruby users and tracking Ruby adoption rates.

It's at http://www.rubyusers.com

If you think it's a good idea, please sign up. Or you could just do it for the link back to your homepage, cv or blog.

If you think it's a bad idea, then I'm really sorry to have bothered you.

All the best,

Paul

Yes, it took me three gos to get the text correct.

Colin

What problem did you have? I had no problem at all.

What problem did you have? I had no problem at all.

I could not read the words. I tried the audio feed but that did not recognise what I typed either. The last letter is often truncated. (Tried on IE and FF, no difference). Once I realised that there was a button to generate a new code it was ok, I pressed it a couple of times till something I could read appeared. It would be easier if the words were simple words, I have just had another look and one of them is Trubenback, clicked the refresh and one is volen with half a letter on the end that might be a t, or perhaps it is violent with the i mixed up with the v.

I am not normally deficient in the pattern recognition department as far as I am aware.

Colin

I guess I just lucked out. I tried again several times and I see what you mean. In some cases the last letter was indeed truncated.

Well, I hope this gets addressed.

David

Unfortunately, it won’t take a valid email address. Mine is a firstname.initial.lastname@vanderbilt.edu

Need to work on the e-mail regex! There are numerous examples on the web for e-mail regexes. Have a look.

Oh, and post when it is fixed. Thanks!

Cheers–

Charles

So it seems we have to do two things ASAP: replace the Google books capcha with a logical capcha (I just like the idea of helping with the Google books project) and relax the email validation. The developer probably did use a standard regex email validation script from the web, but often those are not as friendly as those of us with unusual email addresses would like (mine is @llp.pl, so I get busted from time to time for not having a .com or .org email).

I'm sure we'll get it fixed soon. The developer was not in the office today.

Thanks for the community-based testing. :slight_smile:

All the best,

Paul

I hate capchas, personally. We chose this one because at least it does some good. As you use it, it improves the OCR of a book scanning project. But as it's really a barrier to access, then I would prefer a logical capcha to prevent bots creating accounts. A logical captcha is something like "The sum of 4 and 8 is ________." They are always easy to read, even for browser readers for the blind.

All the best,

Paul