How do you pass a Validation error to a view using redirect_to ?

Hi All

I have a problem with passing Validation error messages from my model 'Visitor' to my view 'index.html.erb'. When I pass an invalid surname from the form on my view, I correctly get an invalid response on my error page when I use the render :action => 'error command in my controller.

However I want this error message to appear on my index page and I want the form to be redirected to this page.

My question is how can I pass the error failure from my model to the view, using a redirect_to?

Many thanks, and Happy New Year!

Ben...

index_controller.rb

Redirect wipes out things like instance variables because you are making the browser ask for a new page.

The flash is there to pass stuff from one action to the next. You can either pass the error messages... or even your whole invalid object along.

Example usage in:

ri ActionController::Flash

-Michael

Thanks Mike

I've finally figured out the problem. The reason I didn't use render was that when I did my page kept forwarding onto an unwanted URL route, so I used redirect_to, but I didn't really think about the fact that I would loose the request data as redirect_to is a new request.

Anyway it turns out that because I was using index_controller.rb and a view called index.html.erb that some how this was affecting my routing. I then switched to using a different RESTful resource and used render and it all worked like clockwork.

Thanks for the pointers,

Ben...