How do you access attributes in form templates?

I have a Survey-Response application, where surveys can be created with an arbitrary number of questions, and users can respond to an arbitrary number of surveys.

A Survey has_many Questions and has_many Responses. Both a Question and a Response has_many Answers. That way, everybody has a relationship to everyone else.

In the Response#new for each Response.survey.questions I do a @response.answers.build and set the questions_id attribute. That looks like this: 1: survey = Survey.find(params[:survey_id]) 2: @response = survey.responses.build 3: @response.survey.questions.each do |question| 4: @response.answers.build(:question_id => question.id) 5: end

All I want to do in the form template is get the Answer's Question's text to display as a label. That looks like this:

6: <% f.fields_for :answers do |fields| %> 7: <p>Q: <%= Question.find(fields[:question_id]).ask %></p> 8: <p>A: <%= fields.text_field :content %><br /></p> 9: <% end %>

Obviously Line 7 is junk, but that's basically what I want to do. How do I get those prepopulated attribute values? I haven't been able to find anything on this so it's either obviously staring me in the face or an odd question.

I found this similar question, but it hasn't received a reply. http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/115dbb1ba9215b0f/33779ed24e48c26c?lnk=gst&q=attributes+form#33779ed24e48c26c

Thanks in advance. Dee

I haven't had any responses in the past few days, so the problem must be unsolvable in Rails. :wink: LOL

But let me rephrase the question more succinctly.

Assume, Shelf has a description and a set of items. Item has a description, sku and color. Given, I use build in my controller's new method to create a set of models like this: @shelf = Shelf.new 3.times { @shelf.items.build(:sku => GenerateNewSku, :color => 'blue') }

Explain how to display the sku and color in the form for each item? <% form_for @shelf do |f| %>   <%= f.label :description %>   <%= f.text_field :description %>

<% f.fields_for @shelf.items do |item_fields| %>     <%# ****Want :sku here**** #%>     <%# ****Want :color here**** #%>     <%= item_fields.text_field :description %>   <% end %>

<%= f.submit %></p> <% end %>

Why I want this: My app has Surveys, and each has many Questions. Each Question has many Answers (one per user). The Answers also belong to a Response, which belong to a User. Response can be thought of as the user's answers to a Survey. If that's not clear, imagine a data diagram in the shape of a diamond, with Survey at the top branching down into Questions and Responses at the next level, and Answers at the bottom. Each level is has_many with the one below it.

In the Response's form, I want to display Question.ask for each question in the Survey as a label for each Answer in the Response. Maybe there is a better way to go about doing this, but I've tried numerous approaches, refactoring the databases, and am just about to switch over to .NET (jk).

Maybe I'm totally missing your point, but shouldn't that just be, e.g.

&lt;% f\.fields\_for @shelf\.items\.each do |item| %&gt;
            &lt;%= item\.sku %&gt;

... ??

Thanks for replying, Hassan.

I don't think you're missing the point, and, yes, that's what *I* think it should be too. The problem is "item" is type ActionView:Helpers:FormBuilder, and therefore doesn't have a sku property. Or maybe /I'm/ missing something

(I tried to make that clearer by naming it "item_fields" rather than just "item" as you've done here.)

Dee

Thanks for replying, Hassan.

I don't think you're missing the point, and, yes, that's what *I* think it should be too. The problem is "item" is type ActionView:Helpers:FormBuilder, and therefore doesn't have a sku property. Or maybe /I'm/ missing something

if you've got a form builder then form_builder.object is the object it is bound to.

Fred

Thanks, that what I was looking for. Just found it in the source code. Works like a charm. Thanks Frederick.