How could I uninstall the build-in gems in Leopard

I am a newbie on the Mac and ROR. I am trying to install the rails on my Leopard today and get its done. But I found for many of the gems, there are tow versions installed on my machine. There is a lower version installed at /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/ Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and an updated version I installed today at /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8

For example,

stanley$ gem list -d rake -a

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

rake (0.8.3, 0.7.3)     Author: Jim Weirich     Rubyforge: http://rubyforge.org/projects/rake     Homepage: http://rake.rubyforge.org     Installed at (0.8.3): /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8                  (0.7.3): /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/ Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

And if I run rake -V, it will tell me that the current version executed is 0.8.3.

But if I tried to cleanup the old version installed on my machine, if failed, as the following:

stanley$ sudo gem cleanup rake Password: Cleaning up installed gems... :0:Warning: Gem::SourceIndex#search support for Regexp patterns is deprecated Attempting to uninstall rake-0.7.3 ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)     Unknown gem rake = 0.7.3

I am wondering how could I uninstall the old version of these gems?

And another question is that I checked the rake file executed which is /usr/bin/rake I didn't find any information or path set there that told the console which rake it should call? If I wanna to use an old version of rake or even rails, how should I do?

Thanks

To be honest, I wouldn't bother. If it's in /System, leaving it alone is generally a good idea. It doesn't do any harm having multiple versions of gems installed. The executables gem installs try and load the most recent version of the associated gem. You can force a particular one, eg

rake _0.7.3_

runs that version of rake.

Fred

On our setups, we simply use the built-in mac stuff and then update the old versions.

gem update --system gem install rails

You can safely ignore the old versions without a problem.

Thanks for both of you. It looks like the simple way is ignoring it...

Thanks for the tip Brian, I am trying it out now. I did a 'gem update rails' and it started to cough up the following:

michael@Mac-Pro:~/Desktop/rails_demo$ rails blog /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ 1.8/rubygems.rb:379:in `report_activate_error': RubyGem version error: rake(0.7.3 not >= 0.8.3) (Gem::LoadError)

Will report after trying this. Thanks :slight_smile:

Cheers Mike

It works!! Thanks :slight_smile: