How come my posts never get into this forum?

Could someone clue me in as to how one posts a question on this forum? I've tried many times and never made it stick? Here goes another try. Everyone on this forum seems to be doing well with RESTful routes and I am enjoying them tremendously. I am attempting to use this approach in a very non-standard way. So here goes the foundation of my question. In a nested RESTful route we call it something like this; parent_child_path(parent) This is easy and it assumes that we are looking at ONE parent record to scope the children.

Now, what happens if there are a group of parents built into the instance variable of the controller?; @parentscope = Parent.find([1, 2, 3]) We call the nested RESTful route like this; parent_child_path(@parentscope)

Where I'm stumped is that I'm faced with the challlenge of building this multi-scoped nested RESTful route in code and delivering it to a 'link_to' statement. I know you must be thinking, "how did she paint herself into such a corner". Currently, (thanks to Alex) I'm able to deliver this value as a field in a 'link_to' like this; <%= link_to 'Place to go', eval(table.row.routepath) %>

My guess is that I must build a method in the parent model.rb to assemble this value, but I can find no examples of how this might be done. I'm a little desperate here, and will pay money or work for slave wages in exchange for help. Thank you, Kathy KathysKode@gmail.com

I've tried many times and never made it stick? Here goes another try.

It looks like you've used pretty much the same explanation at least the last couple of times. If you're having trouble getting responses, you might want to alter the description of the issue you're having, and/or describe what you've done or tried since you've last posted.

Now, what happens if there are a group of parents built into the instance variable of the controller?; @parentscope = Parent.find([1, 2, 3]) We call the nested RESTful route like this; parent_child_path(@parentscope)

I'm not sure I'm following here. Not having tried this myself, is this something that actually works? I'm not sure what it means for a nested resource to have multiple parents. What URI do you expect the parent_child_path(@parentscope) to return?

parent/1/parent/2/parent/3/child/n/ ? parent/1/2/3/child/n/ ? An array of three URIs, one for each parent?

I'm thinking that it doesn't make much sense. It sounds like what you're interested in is the child, regardless of the parent, so I'd generate a URI that goes to a non-nested route, e.g., child/n/. The associations between the parents and children aren't stored in the URI, so it's not like you're going to lose anything by having a non-nested route.

Though I think I'm not understanding the issue. Could you explain it in more general terms, rather than describing the technical parts of it? What are you trying to accomplish?

Michael Glaesemann grzm seespotcode net