How can I read a cookie set on another subdomain by a non-Rails app?

I'm trying to build some single sign on functionality into our web application.

There's community site on a subdomain: i.e. community.domain.com

The Rails app is on: www.domain.com

When I inspect the cookies, I don't see any of the "community.domain.com" cookies.

In "production.rb", I have this: ActionController::CgiRequest::DEFAULT_SESSION_OPTIONS.update (:session_domain => '.domain.com')

That doesn't seem to help.

How can I get my "www" app to read from the "community" subdomain?

Thanks, Andy

In "production.rb", I have this: ActionController::CgiRequest::DEFAULT_SESSION_OPTIONS.update (:session_domain => '.domain.com')

That doesn't seem to help.

How can I get my "www" app to read from the "community" subdomain?

what is the app setting the cookies doing ? if it's setting them for community.domain.com rather than .domain.com then you can't get them because the browser won't be sending them

Fred

I have no control over what the "community.domain.com" server does. It's a hosted application.

So you're saying that the browser won't be sending cookies from "community.domain.com" for use on other subdomains?

Thanks, Andy

I have no control over what the "community.domain.com" server does. It's a hosted application.

So you're saying that the browser won't be sending cookies from "community.domain.com" for use on other subdomains?

correct (see RFC 2965 - HTTP State Management Mechanism ) (unless the subdomain was something.community.domain.com)

Fred