How can I dynamically create this form?

Hi,

I have a model, ec_order, with many of another model, ec_line_item. I have a page where users can dynamically add line items to their order.

===============Begin new.rhtml================== <% form_for :ec_order, :url => 'summary' do |f| %>         <div id="ec_line_items">         <%= render :partial => 'ec_line_item', :collection => @ec_order.ec_line_items %>         </div>         <%= add_item_link "Add an item" %>         <%= submit_tag("Submit Form") %> <% end %> ===============End new.rhtml====================

If a user submits an order and there are some problems, I redirect them back to the page above. My question is, how can I make sure the user sees the same number of items that they had when they submitted the form?

Here are the two controller methods in question.

def new                 @user = User.find(session[:user_id])                 1.times { @ec_order.ec_line_items.build }         end

def summary                 @ec_order = EcOrder.new(params[:ec_order])                 if (!@ec_order.valid?)                         flash[:notice] = "Order is invalid."                         redirect_to :action => 'new'                 else                         session[:ec_order] = @ec_order                 end         end

Thanks, - Dave

hi Dave,

you could try this

instead of submitting to url=>"summary", take that line out...so that it will submit to new.rhtml automatically....then make your new action look something like this:

def new                 @user = User.find(session[:user_id])                 if request.post?                      @ec_order = params[:ec_order]                      if(!@ec_order.valid?)                         flash[:notice] = "Order is invalid"                      else                         session[:ec_order] = @ec_order                      end

1.times { @ec_order.ec_line_items.build } <<<< sorry not sure what this line does         end

Re the session[:ec_order] thing, I'm not sure why you're doing that, do you know that if the variable in the action is an instance variable, i.e. has an @ at the front, then it can be seen in the view....?

oops missed an extra 'end' out there to close the main if statement

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your input. The reason I had an intermediate "summary" screen was because I wanted the user to be able to confirm what they were ordering before they locked themselves in. I would prefer to keep the summary view code and the new view code separate, but if the only way to get what I want is to combine them, I'm willing to do that.

The reason for this line

1.times { @ec_order.ec_line_items.build }

which I got from a Railscast tutorial, is so that when the user first sees the order form page, there is at least one line item displayed. If I remove this line, there are no items displayed.

- Dave