hostingrails.com appears to have had an ownership change.

Uggh, this happened to be me before, my site trashed when the host had business problems.

I hope it won't be that bad. It seems Jumpline has taken over hostingrails and it also seems that there have been support transition problems.

My site has been down on and off for over a week and what is worse, support doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

pray4me pleez.

Yup, the new support people seem incompetent. They just moved my account to a new server and I've had tons of trouble... it's been three days and they still don't have my Subversion repository working. I don't know why but the support people also seem annoyed by my attempts to get their... support.

This is such a shame because they were so good before.

--Best wishes

Same here, we are now down for our second full day. Our environment is pointing to code from 2008 in our largest locations. I've screamed, yelled and have gotten nowhere. My developer is now 11 hours in at $50/hr and we aren't any closer. Still can't get the environment correct.

I just gave him the directive to go to another provider. HostingRails is a business killer.

-Steve

Hostingrails is a bunch on incompetent idiots. Our environment is still down 48 hours later with very little hope to get it online correctly.

The main developer has been given the directive to get away from these jokers.

-Steve

Indeed, hostingrails is the worst rails hosting company available. If you want to try the worst, try hostingrails.

Hi, I pretty much had the same issues reported here, especially after the "upgrade" on some servers.

The question is: what RoR hosting provider would you suggest ? I've heard good things about site5, and was myself a happy Lunarpages customer but I left because at the time they were not supporting RoR and shell access.

thanks

-ugo-

I received a 4/24/2010 email from hostingrails.com that states:

If you are currently using outside name servers for your website, you will need to either update your DNS name server records for your domain name to (ns1.hostingrails.com and ns2.hostingrails.com).

The above email is wrong, or least today, it is wrong. To correctly get my DNS working after the server change, I needed to point my DNS to:

ns1.myhostcenter.com and ns2.myhostcenter.com

support.jumpline.com and support.hostingrails.com seemed to be the same web page except

support.hostingrails.com has a forum tab

and

support.jumpline.com does not have a forum tab.

The forum’s tab points to http://hostingrails.com/forums

There is not a http://jumpline.com/forums

gogo wrote:

Hi, I pretty much had the same issues reported here, especially after the "upgrade" on some servers.

The question is: what RoR hosting provider would you suggest ? I've heard good things about site5, and was myself a happy Lunarpages customer but I left because at the time they were not supporting RoR and shell access.

I like Slicehost, or Heroku.

thanks

-ugo-

Best,

The original estimate of 24-72 hours is currently off by over a week.

I currently experience site halts of over 5 minutes more than twice daily.

My git repository suddenly reverted to the first commit. I had to rebuild my development history from a git clone. Fortunately all history was present in the clone so no work was lost.

I'm not sure who the "my" is in the new name "my.hostingrails.com" but it definitely doesn't seem to be paying customers.

This feels like a class action suit in the making...

Rick

I would support anyone who has had a similar experience with Hostingrails (which seems like many), to pursue a class action lawsuit.

Our story:

My company is a web agency and we hosted several of our client websites with Hostingrails. On April 30th, I received notification from one of our customers that their site was down. I then found out all of our sites were down. We called hostingrails support and submitted a ticket for an urgent correction. No response was officially given until Sunday morning! We were not able to call on the weekend as they have NO weekend call support. After our own developer's investigation, we finally realized that our sites IP addresses had been changed (without them even informing us!). After posting numerous tickets, hostingrails finally gave us the new IP's to redirect to. This was only the start of our problems...On Monday, we called the support and they finally explained there was a server upgrade and "we should have know about this" (our sites have been down for 72 hours at this point). We NEVER received any email or notification, nor could they prove they sent us any such message. I demanded to speak to a manager in charge, his name is Derek Hopper. He wasn't available but support promised to call back taking my number (European number). Then he sent an email saying he was unable to make international calls (what a load of BS!).

In short, we never got our issues resolved and the server change forced us to move all websites to a new server. This wasted 5 days of our time and not to mention significant financial losses and damage to our reputation. Even after all of this, we asked Derek for our money back on hosting we have not used (we paid 2 years in advance hosting). He came up with the biggest BS excuse ever saying he "can't make a refund due to the merchant system". He then asked us to "trust him" and we could have free hosting for 2 years (extended to 2014). He even had the nerve to offer this when our current issues were still NOT resolved. I have never dealt with more incompetent people in my life.

We have not received a refund yet but will do whatever it takes to get some justice in this case. If anyone else has a similar story to share or would like to investigate a class action lawsuit, please email me at clint.hailey@gmail.com

Clinton

We have had a very similar experience, with two separate hostingrails sites. We eventually moved all our sites over to railsplayground.net and been happy with them so far.

I've never had a hosting company switch me to a new server without thoroughly ensuring everything works and getting my approval before throwing the switch. Hostingrails on the other hand, arrogantly just moved my files over and sent me an email notification that my IP has changed. Then all hell broke loose. SMTP failures, site down for hours at a time, multiple times a day, tried to contact Support continuously. The went on for over 2 weeks, as we moved to a new hosting company. I have lost a major Beta customer in the process.

I was actually hung-up on by the "customer support" manager, Derek, after I asked the support technician to transfer me to his boss, because I dared to say the situation was "bullshit" ("I'm terminating this call because of your bad language"). Support tickets are closed without being resolved. Hostingrails used to have exceptional support. Now its in the toilet.

In an attempt to give them one last chance, I tried to contact "management" but there's none listed on their website. I called their sales and support lines and asked for the name of the company president, and was refused that information. Quite unbelievable.

Hi,

Same here. I have 5 small websites hosted at hostingrails.com. Since April, I have much troubles with my apps.

I already wrote to the sales.

I've had the same experience with them. I host over 40 sites in a CMS application on Hosting Rails. They sent me the IP change email *after* our sites went down. It took three days to recover, during which their support kept giving us different reasons why this was our fault.

When I called them a week later to tell them this was unacceptable, the rep told me, "well, only a few of our customers were affected."

D.

We recently moved our RAILS hosting to webappcabaret.com AND we are loving it. Had bad experience with hostingrails even before ownership change.

Danny Collier wrote: