host to try out rails with minimal traffic

I tried Hostgator, but their instructions date from 2004 and although they have clued me in on some problems, for example the rails address is domain/app/public, I am no longer making progress.

I tried to create a demo application from hostgator cpanel. I screwed up and now I can't restart this demo. It seems there is a mongrel server already running at the address. Somehow the cpanel started mongrel, and the hostgator support told me I had broken a rule by starting mongrel on their host site!

So is there a host out there that will support rails, who would be helpful with instructions on what to do to get rails to work on their hosting service? I just need to put the site on line for a few weeks to get some data to continue to develop the application. Maybe 50 users in 2 weeks.

Buying a slice seems expensive for what I will get out of it.

anne

Hostgator tried to set me up but they are getting an error message. The application works on my mac. Could it be a problem with gem version?

Here's the error from myapp6 that's causing it not to run:

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:445:in `load_missing_constant': uninitialized constant ResourceController (NameError)         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:77:in `const_missing'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:89:in `const_missing'         from /home/anne001/etc/rails_apps/myapp6/app/controllers/ images_controller.rb:1         from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 31:in `gem_original_require'         from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 31:in `require'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:155:in `require'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:262:in `require_or_load'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:221:in `depend_on'          ... 21 levels...         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/ mongrel/command.rb:212:in `run'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/ mongrel_rails:281         from /usr/bin/mongrel_rails:19:in `load'         from /usr/bin/mongrel_rails:19

Surpass Hosting (http://www.surpasshosting.com) has a shared developer plan with Phusion Passenger (which is widely regarded as the easiest way to deploy a Rails app) and the latest version of Rails:

http://www.surpasshosting.com/surpass-developer-resources.php

I tried Hostgator, but their instructions date from 2004 and although they have clued me in on some problems, for example the rails address is domain/app/public, I am no longer making progress.

I tried to create a demo application from hostgator cpanel. I screwed up and now I can't restart this demo. It seems there is a mongrel server already running at the address. Somehow the cpanel started mongrel, and the hostgator support told me I had broken a rule by starting mongrel on their host site!

So is there a host out there that will support rails, who would be helpful with instructions on what to do to get rails to work on their hosting service? I just need to put the site on line for a few weeks to get some data to continue to develop the application. Maybe 50 users in 2 weeks.

Buying a slice seems expensive for what I will get out of it.

Anne,

How much is your time worth to you? You might give us a whirl:

* http://railsboxcar.com/

We've made the deployment process a breeze. :slight_smile:

Cheers, Robby