Heroku upload

Hi, I’d like some help to upload rails apps to multiple heroku accounts.

I currently have my account configured in mac terminal, but I’m working on a job which the client will have the heroku account (but no computer configured).

How do I upload a rails app I’m working on my computer to his account?

Thank you,

Rodrigo

`git push heroku master`, just like any other account. Look at your .git/config file for your current account.

Actually I want to upload it without messing with my computer configuration.

I’d like to upload it online, no terminal.

Neither of those sentences make any sense to me. Maybe you can explain more fully what you're trying to do, as well as why the normal heroku deployment process isn't suitable.

I’d like to deploy a rails app to a heroku account without using terminal.

I’d like to upload it just like I upload a photo to facebook, so I don’t have to change my configuration if I need to upload to another account (like I do)

I'd like to deploy a rails app to a heroku account without using terminal.

Sorry, don't have any idea how to do that.

I'd like to upload it just like I upload a photo to facebook, so I don't have to change my configuration if I need to upload to another account (like I do)

Sorry, I don't understand "change my configuration".

I have multiple sites on heroku; each app, unsurprisingly, has its own .git/config file. It's set once, and that's it. I don't "change" anything to deploy different apps, other than `cd` to that directory.

It sounds like you want a 'ftp' style deploy for Heroku. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can do that.

If you want a single local app to go to multiple heroku apps, you might be able to define a git remote for each app.. But I'd be afraid that other things like executing rake, db changes, logs, etc.. wouldn't work right.

Yes, each app has its own .git, but I want one of those apps to be on another heroku ACCOUNT, that isn’t mine.

Yes, each app has its own .git, but I want one of those apps to be on another heroku ACCOUNT, that isn’t mine.

i’m not entirely sure what you want to do. If you want to transfer ownership of a repository to another

owner, you can use the heroku sharing:transfer EMAIL command (if you don’t want to use the terminal,

i’m pretty sure there’s a counterpart for this command on the heroku site).

So have the project owner add you as a collaborator. Problem solved.

If he adds me as a collaborator, how can I upload the project to his account without changing my terminal configuration?

What "terminal configuration" are you talking about?

Deployment is the same as every other Rails app on Heroku.

As far as I know, to deploy to heroku, I have to set my configurations, meaning I have to set my account name, password and maybe other stuff I don’t remember (but only once).

I don’t want to change those configurations.

So how do I specify that now I want to deploy to a different heroku account, but only for that project, no the others

As far as I know, to deploy to heroku, I have to set my configurations, meaning I have to set my account name, password and maybe other stuff I don't remember (but only once).

Again, what "configurations" are you talking about? Where exactly are you setting these things?

So how do I specify that now I want to deploy to a different heroku account, but only for that project, no the others

Deployment is per application, not "account". If you've been added to an application as a collaborator, you can deploy that application the standard way, using the info in .git/config.

You do not have to change anything else.

what do I have to set at the .git/config?

I’ve never had to manually edit that file.

What I’ve done so far is set (only once) my heroku account at my terminal, and now always when I do git push heroku master it always pushes to my heroku account (no matter what project I’m working on).

and now always when I do git push heroku master it always pushes to my heroku account (no matter what project I'm working on).

One. Last. Time.

Deployment is per application, not "account".

If you have multiple projects on heroku, how can `git push` distinguish one from another? HINT: .git/config

Open it up and look at it. Compare what you see to the information on your own https://api.heroku.com/myapps individual pages.

Not sure if this helps, but trying for the best …

Maybe the OP is refering to the public/private key pair, as in

~/.ssh/id_rsa

~/.ssh/id_rsa_pub

If he wants to execute ‘git push’ to a git remote on which he has no write access, he may need to use a different id_rsa (or id_dsa) key to obtain write access rights to that other “account” of his customer (or add his

own public key to the project of the customer)??

Maybe the OP can publish the result of

$ git remote -v

on the different projects to make this clear ?

Searching for 30 seconds on the Heroku help pages, leads me to this passage

http://help.github.com/linux-set-up-git/

Add your SSH key to GitHub. On the GitHub site Click “Account Settings” > Click “SSH Public Keys” > Click “Add another public key”

Maybe this is the one-time Account set-up the OP is referring to ??

If that is the issue, there are 2 options:

• add his public key to the project of his customer (via the Heroku interface) <= prefered
  • use the private key of the customer on his local dev machine (<= not prefered)

HTH (but not certain),

Peter

I use ddollar’s https://github.com/ddollar/heroku-accounts to be able to switch between different heroku accounts on my machine. The author is an engineer at heroku, can’t get better than that!

E/

Good to know about, but it doesn't address the OP's use case that involves an application belonging to *another person's* account.

Pretty simple -

type "heroku logout" then "heroku login" - enter the details for the account you want to upload to, and then "heroku keys:add" to add your SSL key, push your updates with "git push heroku master" finally "heroku logout" and "heroku login" back to your own account.

Simple, if you read the help files...