Heroku & rails new ultradedup001

Because my ISP is giving me zero help in fixing a problem I fee is his problem, I have decided to migrate my code to Heroku.

I attempted a port but the port failed. Oh well, it was worth a try.

So, instead, I did "Hello, world" by doing   rails new ultradedup001

I actually saw the "Welcome aboard" screen at http://ultradedup001.heroku.com/ (Yay!)

When I then clicked on "About your application’s environment", I see "The page you were looking for doesn't exist." in what appears to be a frame. I suspect this is generated in javascript.

When I do a   heroku logs the relevant lines seem to be

2011-12-18T08:54:59+00:00 app[web.1]: Started GET "/rails/info/properties" for 67.172.135.123 at 2011-12-18 00:54:59 -0800

2011-12-18T08:54:59+00:00 heroku[router]: GET ultradedup001.heroku.com/rails/info/properties dyno=web.1 queue=0 wait=0ms service=482ms status=404 bytes=728

2011-12-18T08:54:59+00:00 app[web.1]: ActionController::RoutingError (No route matches "/rails/info/properties"):

Any thoughts on what I did wrong? Or is the "Welcome aboard" code not portable to Heroku?

Because my ISP is giving me zero help in fixing a problem I fee is his problem, I have decided to migrate my code to Heroku.

I attempted a port but the port failed. Oh well, it was worth a try.

So, instead, I did "Hello, world" by doing rails new ultradedup001

I actually saw the "Welcome aboard" screen athttp://ultradedup001.heroku.com/(Yay!)

When I then clicked on "About your application’s environment", I see "The page you were looking for doesn't exist." in what appears to be a frame. I suspect this is generated in javascript.

The /rails/info route is only setup in development, so if your heroku deployment is running in production it's normal for it not to work.

Fred

Frederick,

I attempted a port but the port failed. �Oh well, it was worth a try.

So, instead, I did "Hello, world" by doing � rails new ultradedup001

I actually saw the "Welcome aboard" screen athttp://ultradedup001.heroku.com/(Yay!)

When I then clicked on "About your application�s environment", I see "The page you were looking for doesn't exist." in what appears to be a frame. �I suspect this is generated in javascript.

The /rails/info route is only setup in development, so if your heroku deployment is running in production it's normal for it not to work.

Could you PLEASE elaborate. Please elaborate, for instance, why the same code is running in development on my test machine but is running in production on heroku?

And could you please suggest a fix.

- - - -

Finally, routes.rb is, to me, very different than the routes.rb that I am used to.

What I have ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map|   # map.resources :orders

map.resources :home, :only => [:index, :show]

map.resources :signed_in, :only => [:index, :show]   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'   map.connect ':controller/:action.html'   map.connect ':controller/:action.htm'            map.root :controller => :home end is similar to what is taught by Dave Thomas in *Agile Web Development in Rails*.

Is there an (easy) tutorial on how to use the routes sample generated by the "rails new" command?

Ralph

Have a look at the rails guide Rails Routing from the Outside In.

Colin

Rails (deliberately) only allows access to the /rails/info controller when running in development mode. The rest of the time the route that would allow requests to reach it doesn't exist so going to /rails/info will 404.

Fred

Frederick,

Sunday, December 18, 2011, 6:57:20 AM, you wrote:

elaborate ... why the same code is running in development on my test machine but is running in production on heroku?

Because that's the way heroku works. I would imagine it would be a nightmare for a platform-as-a-service to support the constant reloading that goes on in development.

And could you please suggest a fix.

"a fix" to what problem?

I assume there's a fear that the information could be useful to the attacker. Also since I don't think anyone ever uses it out of development there doesn't seem much point in exposing it. Code that isn't run is code that can't be attacked.

Fred