helper to generate element id?

Anyone know if there's a helper to generate an element's ID given object, method, id, and the other options taken by form helpers like text_field?

Thanks! Daniel

Whoops! that should read:

Anyone know if there's a helper to generate an element's ID given object, method, INDEX, and the other options taken by form helpers like text_field?

Daniel Higginbotham wrote:

Anyone know if there's a helper to generate an element's ID given object, method, INDEX, and the other options taken by form helpers like text_field?

Yes, there's add_default_name_and_id(options), but it's private to class ActionView::Helpers::InstanceTag. So if you want to define your own AR form helper you have to do put something like this in lib:

class ActionView    class Base      def my_field(object_name, method, options = {})        Helpers::InstanceTag.new(object_name, method, self).to_my_tag(self, options)      end

class Helpers::InstanceTag      def to_my_tag(template, options = {})        options = options.stringify_keys        add_default_name_and_id(options)        ...        options['id'] # e.g., just return the id, per your question      end    end end