Helper in controller undefined when called

Hello, I'm pulling my hair out as I can't seem to find resolution to my simple problem, which is calling methods from controllers to helpers.

in my application_controller.rb I have helper :all, which as i understand should include all helpers all the time. Then when i try to call methods in helpers i get undefined method error.

Is there another place where i have to include helpers to make them available in controllers?

Helper methods are used in the template class (ActionView::Template), not controllers. If I'm reading the documentation right, putting "helper :all" in a controller makes all helpers found in app/helpers/ **/*rb available in that controller's views.

If you really want to use an existing Rails helper in your controllers, do the following :

1. add the following the following code to your application_controller (a singleton and a method):   class Helper     include Singleton     include ActionView::Helpers::DateHelper     include ActionView::Helpers::TextHelper     # include other helpers   end

def helpers     Helper.instance   end

2. Use the helpers in your controller : @nice_string = helpers.distance_of_time_in_words(@t1,@t2)

Regards, MVCaraiman.