help with Json1.1.2.gem error gem_make.out ?

Hi, Could someone please point me in the right direction, I need the json gem for an apps I am working on, I’m new to RoR been working with it for around 4 weeks now and have been given a requirements list for the gems. When I try to install the json gem using "gem install json" I am getting an error saying,

ERROR: Error installing json: ERROR:Failed to build gem native extension.

C:/User../.././ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install on creating Makefile nmake 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

gem file will remain installed in C:/User.../.../../gems/json-1.1.2 for inspection. results logged to c:/User/.../../.../gems/json-1.1.2/ext/parser/gem_make.out

I have manually installed the gem to but this hasn’t seem to help Sorry if this is very basic but like i say im new to ROR so all help is greatly appreciated

Thanks Christopher

Hi, Could someone please point me in the right direction, I need the json gem for an apps I am working on, I'm new to RoR been working with it for around 4 weeks now and have been given a requirements list for the gems. When I try to install the json gem using "gem install
json" I am getting an error saying,

ERROR: Error installing json: ERROR:Failed to build gem native extension.

Building gems with native extensions is always a little interesting on
windows. It's not my area of expertise at all, but you'll going to
need a compiler (and the toolchain that comes with it), and that
compiler will need to match what ruby was built with, which usually
means visualc++ 6 (you can also build everything from scratch using
cygwin I believe). You may have more luck on the ruby talk list as
this is strictly a ruby problem

Fred

You may want to install CygWinX http://x.cygwin.com/ as it provides all the tools needed to build native extensions for gems, including nmake. Pay careful attention to the package options during installation and be sure to select the development tools and libraries.

Once CygWin was installed and running, I was able to download, build, and install JSON on XP just by doing "gem install json". Worked perfectly on the first try...

I had a nightmare with this one. The problem for me was that the .net framework kept jumping in and answering the calls to 'cl' (issued by nmake during the compile). Depending on your requirements there is a pure-ruby implementation of the json 1.2 gem that might work. It's functionally equivalent just a little slower.

If you "feel the need for speed" you'll need MS VC++ 6.0. I have not tried what gbesch posted (Cygwin) but that looks like a great option for the future.