help with debugging daemons on debian

I'm trying to get a daemon to work on debian using daemons gem. I installed daemons via gems and I'm running version 1.0.3.

I used daemon_generator from

I created a daemon called test and ran it on OSX with no problem, meaning that

./script/daemons start and ./script/daemons stop

both work fine.

I moved it to a debian system, modifed test.rb to use the production environment, and I can't get it to work. I've tried a bunch of things. It doesn't seem to start reliably

On the debian system ./script/daemons start

sometimes works. I see the daemon running, I see the monitor daemon running, and messages are going into the production log file.

If I try to stop it with

./script/daemons stop

the test daemon stops but the monitor does *not* stop. Then I get a log file for the test daemon with

# Logfile created on Thu Dec 07 15:33:33 -0800 2006 by logger.rb/1.5.2.9 failed to allocate memory stack level too deep exception reentered uninitialized constant Rails no such file to load -- rails.rb No such file or directory - [snip]/log/test.rb.pid no such file to load -- openssl no such file to load -- http-access2 no such file to load -- xmlscan/scanner no such file to load -- xml/parser no such file to load -- tmail/scanner_c.so no such file to load -- tmail/base64.so test.rb.log (END)

Here is lib/daemons/test.rb: #!/usr/bin/env ruby

#You might want to change this ENV["RAILS_ENV"] ||= "production"

require File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../../config/environment"

$running = true; Signal.trap("TERM") do   $running = false end

while($running) do

# Replace this with your code   ActiveRecord::Base.logger << "This daemon is still running at #{Time.now}.\n"

sleep 10 end

and here is the ctl file:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby require 'rubygems' require "daemons" require 'yaml' require 'erb' require 'active_support'

options = YAML.load(   ERB.new(   IO.read(   File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../../config/daemons.yml"   )).result).with_indifferent_access options[:dir_mode] = options[:dir_mode].to_sym

Daemons.run File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/test.rb', options # this is a comment

Thank you