has_one and :dependent => :destroy

uh oh, foreign key reference checking in MySQL, I can't believe it man :wink:

you could try the before_destroy hook in certification, to delete the associated object:

class Certification   before_destroy { |certification| certification.bio.destroy }    Jens

I just re-read your mail - the above won't work either. Seems your foreign key constraint is the other way around - it says certification depends on bio, so you should say that in Rails, too, i.e., place the :dependent setting at the other end of the relationship.

That's why one should just place the model logic just into *one* place...

Jens

Dmitry,

Just a thought 'convention over configuration'....

Can you not just do a straight forward rails relationship using migrations?

class AddTables < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :certifications, :force => true do |t|       t.column :name, :string       t.column :created_on, :date       t.column etc...     end

create_table :bios, :force => true do |t|       t.column :certification_id, :integer       t.column :name, :string       t.column :created_on, :date       t.column etc...     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :certifications     drop_table :bios   end end

Then in your models you should only need;

class Certification < ActiveRecord::Base   has_one :bio, :dependent => :destroy

class Bio < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :certification

And let rails take care of the rest?

Hrm.. can't get it working :frowning:

what d u mean "place the :dependent setting at the other end of the relationship"?

I was confused by your naming of columns and the resulting mysql error.

My classes look like following:

class Certification < ActiveRecord::Base # before_destroy { |certification| certification.bio.destroy }   has_one :bio,           :class_name => "Bio",           :foreign_key => "_key",           :dependent => :destroy

class Bio < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :certification,               :class_name => "Certification",               :foreign_key => "_key"

what do your tables look like ? From these classes, you should have a '_key' column in the 'bio' table, referencing 'certification._key'. where in certification it's the primary key, and in bio it's a foreign key pointing to the certification this bio belongs to.

But from this message:

> Mysql::Error: #23000Cannot delete or update a parent row: a foreign > key
> constraint fails (`project/certification`, CONSTRAINT
> `FKD99554BA1D0B0B41` FOREIGN KEY (`_key`) REFERENCES `bio` > (`_key`)):
> DELETE FROM bio
> WHERE _key = 2

it looks as if there's a '_key' column in the certification table referencing the 'bio' row that should get deleted. Is it possible you specified the constraint in the opposite direction as intended ?

on a sidenote, that column naming doesn't make sorting this out any easier ...

Jens