has_many association based on common target rather than join table?

I have the following models: <code> create table "users" do |t|   t.column "name", :string   t.column "group_id", :integer end create table "groups" do   t.column "name", :string   t.column "staff", :boolean end create table "permissions" do   t.column "group_id", :integer   t.column "permission", :string end

class User < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :group end class Group < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :users   has_many :permissions end class Permission < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :group end </code>

The question: How do I specify the association between Users and Permissions, so that I can do things like user.permissions? In particular, how do I set things up so I can ask "get all Users with permission X"?

First, I tried adding this to User: <code>   has_many :permissions, :through => :group </code> This doesn't work; I get errors stating that the groups table does not have a group_id field. I guess this makes sense if the "through" target is supposed to be something that User "has_many" of instead of "belongs_to". For "through", Group should be a join table between User and Permission, rather than just a common target between the two.

Giving up on associations, I tried setting up find queries with custom joins. I can't use ":include => :permissions", as there's no association there, so I have to do it with explicit ":joins": <code> # find all Users with "foo" permission User.find(:all, :joins => "INNER JOIN groups ON users.group_id = groups.id   INNER JOIN permissions ON groups.id = permissions.group_id",   :conditions => ["permissions.permission = ?", foo]) </code> It's ugly, and it almost works. Problem is, the "id" field of the returned User objects is overwritten by "id" fields of subsequent join objects. To prevent this, I need to either specify the order of joins, or limit the returned fields to "users.*": <code> User.find(:all, :joins => "INNER JOIN groups ON users.group_id = groups.id   INNER JOIN permissions ON groups.id = permissions.group_id",   :select => "users.*",   :conditions => ["permissions.permission = ?", foo]) </code>

This seems to have gotten absurdly complicated, given the seemingly simple model structure, and is in fact more verbose and possibly less clear than a straight find_by_sql query. Is there a better way to cleanly specify this association to avoid so much SQL?

cheers, Charlie

All users with @permission should be:

@permission.group.users

Unless I’m missing something.

Yes, this is correct. But what I'm seeking is all users with @permission.permission == "foo". There could be many entries (many @permission's) with the same string in the "permission" column.

I could change the models so that the permission table does not contain a group_id, and to instead use a "has_and_belongs_to_many" join between the Group and Permission tables. I might then be able to get "has_many :through" to work between permissions and users...

thanks for poking me in a different direction, it might work out.

-charlie

Yes, I would do the many-to-many groups/permissions in this situation. Good luck.