Handling multiple models DRYly-- using eval, but better way?

I have a bunch of models (about 30) that are all handled roughly the same way despite having different fields, text, etc (there's a big data structure to drive all that). I'm trying to be DRY and handle them generically. The best way I've come up with is occasional use of eval. That leads to controller code like this to, say, add a bunch of records to the db table...

tbl = q.code # the particular model's id     tblp = tbl.pluralize     tblc = tbl.camelize     @user_records = eval( "@user.#{tblp}")     if @user_records.empty?       stuff.each do |sh|         rcd = eval( "#{tblc}.new")         # code here to create new rcd from sh         eval( "@user.#{tblp} << rcd")       end     end

and this, in the corresponding view...

<% form_for @page.code.to_s + "", :url => {:action => :question, :id => @page.code} do |form| %>   <% @user_records.each do |rcd| %>     <% eval "@#{@page.code}= rcd" %>     <% @columns.each_column do |col| %>       <%= "<p> #{qfield( form, col)}-- column = #{col.code} / #{col.type} / #{col.text.to_s}</p>" %>     <% end %>   <% end %> <% end %>

where qfield is a helper to construct the appropriate html for the column according to its type and other characteristics.

My question -- is there a better way? Rails seems to want an actual assignment to the @model variable to drive the view, so just pointing at it with a more generic variable won't work (I think I tried this, but maybe I didn't do it right). That's the reason behind the third line of the view.

And is there a way to treat the model's class dynamically without eval, in -- rcd = eval( "#{tblc}.new")

Thanks. --David.

Hi --

I have a bunch of models (about 30) that are all handled roughly the same way despite having different fields, text, etc (there's a big data structure to drive all that). I'm trying to be DRY and handle them generically. The best way I've come up with is occasional use of eval. That leads to controller code like this to, say, add a bunch of records to the db table...

tbl = q.code # the particular model's id    tblp = tbl.pluralize    tblc = tbl.camelize    @user_records = eval( "@user.#{tblp}")

@user_records = @user.send(tblp)

if @user_records.empty?      stuff.each do |sh|        rcd = eval( "#{tblc}.new")

rcd = tblc.constantize.new

# code here to create new rcd from sh        eval( "@user.#{tblp} << rcd")

@user.send(tblp) << rcd

end    end

and this, in the corresponding view...

<% form_for @page.code.to_s + "", :url => {:action => :question, :id => @page.code} do |form| %> <% @user_records.each do |rcd| %>    <% eval "@#{@page.code}= rcd" %>

<% instance_variable_set("@#{@page.code}", rcd) %>

<% @columns.each_column do |col| %>      <%= "<p> #{qfield( form, col)}-- column = #{col.code} / #{col.type} / #{col.text.to_s}</p>" %>    <% end %> <% end %> <% end %>

where qfield is a helper to construct the appropriate html for the column according to its type and other characteristics.

My question -- is there a better way? Rails seems to want an actual assignment to the @model variable to drive the view, so just pointing at it with a more generic variable won't work (I think I tried this, but maybe I didn't do it right). That's the reason behind the third line of the view.

And is there a way to treat the model's class dynamically without eval, in -- rcd = eval( "#{tblc}.new")

See above for alternatives to all of your eval uses (untested). The methods I've used are all Ruby methods with the exception of constantize, which is from ActiveSupport.

David