DRYing my app

Hello.

I am using auto-complete fields in my application and I found myself duplicating a lot of code.

Here is a sample of what I have in my view:

<%= text_field_with_auto_complete :model,               :codeA,               :maxlength => 35,               :size => 35,               :frequency => 0,               :style => 'off',               :autocomplete => 'off' -%>             <div class=auto_complete id=model_codeA_auto_complete style='display: none'></div>

<%= text_field_with_auto_complete :model,               :codeB,               :maxlength => 35,               :size => 35,               :frequency => 0,               :style => 'off',               :autocomplete => 'off' -%>             <div class=auto_complete id=model_codeB_auto_complete style='display: none'></div>

The models all look the same too:

class ModelA < ActiveRecord::Base   self.table_name = 'modela'

def self.get_codes     return ModelA.find(       :all,       :select => 'code',       :order => 'code'     ).collect {|row| row.code}   end end

class ModelB < ActiveRecord::Base   self.table_name = 'modelb'

def self.get_codes     return ModelB.find(       :all,       :select => 'code',       :order => 'code'     ).collect {|row| row.code}   end end

: : : and so on...

The only thing that changes in the methods is the name of the model, as you can see.

In my controller I have another set of methods to retrieve the necessary information for the drop downs and auto-completes:

def auto_complete_for_codeA     @codes = ModelA.get_codes     render_options(@codes, params[:model][:codeA])   end

def auto_complete_for_codeB     @codes = ModelB.get_codes     render_options(@codes, params[:model][:codeB])   end

: : : and so on...

'render_options' is another method that I got DRY enough and I don't need to make any changes as of right now. It finds matching values in @codes based on the second parameter value, then renders a partial.

As you can see there is a lot of duplication in all of this and I would like to make it as DRY as possible. The only thing I think can be done is to to modify all those controller methods by soft-coding somehow the name of the Model to be used and get something like this:

def auto_complete_for_codeA     render_options(:ModelA, params[:model][:codeA])   end

def auto_complete_for_codeB     render_options(:ModelB, params[:model][:codeB])   end

Then render_option would do all the grunt work converting :myModelx to a usable model name. If you know how to make this happen and/or have better ideas please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Pepe

Sorry no solutions here, but a couple of thoughts that might end up sending you in the right direction. I'm still new to rails and haven't actually implemented anything like what you're describing.

If modelA & modelB only differ by an attribute, maybe inheritance is your answer..So something like:     class baseModel        basic_stuff_here     class modelA < baseModel        code method # returns codeA     class modelB < baseModel        code method # returns codeB

Then I'm wondering if the rails framework would support (I suspect somehow with routing it does) creating just the basemodel controller/ view. In there everything would be 'the same' just using the inherited methods.

Obviously this is an idea of where to go...I'm sure there are stumbling blocks on the way. -Dale

Hi Dale,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been quite busy these past days.

Thanks for the idea. I think I understand the underlying purpose. However, since nobody was answering this posting I decided to create a new one with a simpler question and I got a few answers that really helped me. I have not tried them yet but if you are interested, here is the link:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/51e90f981ca81f6a/afff04e37620922e?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=soft-coding#afff04e37620922e

Thanks again.

Pepe