Grails to Ruby on Rails

I'm considering swapping out Grails for Ruby on Rails as the front-end for my application, which is currently comprised of a Grails front-end and a couple of RESTful "backend" Java Web Services. The various components are tied together using CAS. Before going ahead with the swap I'd appreciate insight on the following:

1. How can I "map" the table structure created by the Java Web Services using ActiveRecord or DataMapper? There will be times I'll need to pull data directly from the database rather than go through one of the services.

2. In Grails, I have access to SpringSecurityService which gives me access to user information -- i.e. id, name, etc. -- as well as CAS information. How can I achieve this in Rails?

Thanks.

-Dan

Can I ask why you want to switch from grails to rails? I use grails and rails for my applications, I love both, and I think that grails is as good as rails.

Msan Msan wrote in post #1035431:

Can I ask why you want to switch from grails to rails? I use grails and rails for my applications, I love both, and I think that grails is as good as rails.

Recently, most of my work has been Grails based. However, I do have experience with both Grails and Rails and I find them both to be great framework, with their own respective strengths and weaknesses.

With that said, I'm re-implementing the front-end of my application using a JavaScript framework. This particular framework fits very well with Rails and as a result supporting the JS framework with Rails is easier. I can and currently am using Grails to support the JS framework, but it requires a bit more work. As the application progresses the additional work will add up and so I'm considering moving to Rails. The determining factor is how well I can get Rails to work with JaSig CAS.

-Dan

What is the js framework you are using? I read something about sproutcore, do you know?

Msan Msan wrote in post #1035622:

What is the js framework you are using?

Backbone.js (see http://documentcloud.github.com/backbone/)

I read something about sproutcore, do you know?

I've tried sproutcore and while it's nice, I prefer Backbone and Knockout.

Good, thank you, now I try to use it.