getting a duplicate record with has_many and update_attributes

Please help. I've tried all i know with no results...

I have an app with a master class using has_many to another class. When I create a new record with the params showing all fields for master and the has_many class it seems to work OK. But doing an edit on the record shows two copies of the has_many class, and checking mysql shows the two copies.

class Household < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :people, :dependent => :destroy   has_one :visits, :dependent => :destroy

accepts_nested_attributes_for :people, :allow_destroy => true   accepts_nested_attributes_for :visits

end

class Person < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :household end

class HouseholdsController < ApplicationController   # GET /households   # GET /households.xml   def index     @households = Household.all

respond_to do |format|       format.html # index.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @households }     end   end

# GET /households/1   # GET /households/1.xml   def show     @household = Household.find(params[:id])

respond_to do |format|       format.html # show.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @household }     end   end

# GET /households/new   # GET /households/new.xml   def new     @household = Household.new     @household.people.build

respond_to do |format|       format.html # new.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @household }     end   end

# GET /households/1/edit   def edit     @today = Date.today     @household = Household.find(params[:id])     @v = Visit.find_or_create_by_household_id_and_month_and_year(:household_id => params[:id], :month => @today.month, :year => @today.year)   end

# POST /households   # POST /households.xml   def create     @today = Date.today     @household = Household.new(params[:household])     [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12].each do |month|       @visit = Visit.find_or_create_by_household_id_and_month_and_year(:household_id => params[:id], :month => @today.month, :year => @today.year)     end

respond_to do |format| # @household.save       if @household.update_attributes(params[:household])         flash[:notice] = 'Household was successfully created.'         format.html { redirect_to(@household) }         format.xml { render :xml => @household, :status => :created, :location => @household }       else         format.html { render :action => "new" }         format.xml { render :xml => @household.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }       end     end   end

# PUT /households/1   # PUT /households/1.xml   def update        # debugger     @today = Date.today     @household = Household.find(params[:id])     @v = Visit.find_or_create_by_household_id_and_month_and_year(:household_id => params[:id], :month => @today.month, :year => @today.year)     @v.update_attributes(params['visit'])     respond_to do |format|       if @household.update_attributes(params[:household])         flash[:notice] = 'Household was successfully updated.'         format.html { redirect_to(@household) }         format.xml { head :ok }       else         format.html { render :action => "edit" }         format.xml { render :xml => @household.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }       end     end   end

# DELETE /households/1   # DELETE /households/1.xml   def destroy     @household = Household.find(params[:id])     @household.destroy

respond_to do |format|       format.html { redirect_to(households_url) }       format.xml { head :ok }     end   end end

<h1>New household</h1>

<% form_for(@household) do |f| %>   <%= f.error_messages %>

<p>     <%= f.label :name %><br />     <%= f.text_field :name %>   </p>     <%= render :partial => 'people', :object => @household %>

<%= render :partial => 'visit', :object => @visit %>   <p>     <%= f.submit 'Create' %>   </p> <% end %>

<%= link_to 'Back', households_path %>

<h4>People in household</h4>   <b>&nbsp;&nbsp;Sex</b>   <b>&nbsp;&nbsp;Birthday</b> <table>   <div id="people">     <%= render :partial => 'person', :collection => @household.people %>   </div> </table>   <%= link_to_function "Add a Person" do |page|     page.insert_html :bottom, :people, :partial => 'person', :object => Person.new   end %>

<div id="person"> <% @household.build_person unless @household.people %> <% fields_for "household[people_attributes]", person do | person_form| %> <tr><td> <%= person_form.text_field :sex, :size => 1, :maxlength =>1, :index => nil, :autocomplete => "off" %></td>    <td><%= person_form.text_field :month, :size => 2, :maxlength =>2, :index => nil, :autocomplete => "off" %>/        <%= person_form.text_field :day, :size => 2, :maxlength =>2, :index => nil, :autocomplete => "off" %>/       <%= person_form.text_field :year, :size => 4, :maxlength =>4, :index => nil, :autocomplete => "off" %></td>    <td> <% unless person_form.object.new_record? %>         <%= person_form.hidden_field :id, :index => nil %>       <% end %> </tr>   <% @person = person %> <% end %>

</div>

Please help. I've tried all i know with no results...

I have an app with a master class using has_many to another class. When I create a new record with the params showing all fields for master and the has_many class it seems to work OK. But doing an edit on the record shows two copies of the has_many class, and checking mysql shows the two copies.

You're doing this in both cases

Visit.find_or_create_by_household_id_and_month_and_year(:household_id => params[:id], :month => @today.month, :year => @today.year)

Which will create a new visit unless there is one with all of those same parameters. Perhaps you only wanted find_or_create_by_household_id ? Also if you used the association methods (ie household.visit = etc.) then active record would take care of destroying / nulling the previous row

Fred

I would have many records that match only the household_id that way. One for each month and year. I'm trying to get the record for this month. But that part works OK. The problem is with creating people objects. It works fine after the record is created with the correct records being changed, added or deleted. The problem is when a record is created. The people objects added at that time are doubled. The only reason I didn't add visits to the models and use association methods was that I couldn't find a way to open the correct record that way.

Bob

this line was the problem..

@household = Household.new(params[:household])

it was saving the people records because they were linked to household, so a later

@household.update_attributes(params[:household])

doubled the record. Changing the line to

@household = Household.new()

fixed the problem.. :>

Bob