refreshing multiple activerecord objects referring to same database record

I have an issue where I seem (unintentionally) to have more than 1 activerecord object/instance referring to the same database record. How do I ensure that when I update the record, all instances are refreshed with the same data ?

It sounds like "identity map" which is being added to activerecord for rail 3.1 may solve this, but is there a solution for rails 3.0 ?

I have an issue where I seem (unintentionally) to have more than 1

activerecord object/instance referring to the same database record.

How do I ensure that when I update the record, all instances are

refreshed with the same data ?

I don’t think this can be done on a global level. You need to call reload on

each of the instances to be sure that you have a fresh copy out of the db.

Is there some way to get a list of the existing instances which refer to the record ?

Would upgrading to 3.1 and enabling identity map solve the problem ?

Is there some way to get a list of the existing instances which refer

to the record ?

I think there’s none.

Sorry, I haven’t looked at 3.1 yet so I have no clue.

I don't think entity map addresses your problem, though I may be wrong.

You said you are unintentionally getting multiple in memory instances of the same db record. How is that happening?

Colin

Is there some way to get a list of the existing instances which refer to the record ?

I think there's none.

I don't think entity map addresses your problem, though I may be wrong.

On second thoughts I think it may solve the problem. I gather thought that it is turned off by default as it is not entirely reliable yet. See

though I don't know whether this is entirely reliable.

Colin

My problem occurs when trying to modify a parent record from a child, using an after_create callback in the child is created (they have a has_many / belongs_to association).

After some more testing (checking object ids), I can get a test to pass if I use (e.g.) : 1) Child.create(:parent => parent) but not 2) parent.childs.create

I suspect that in 1), the child gets the original parent object passed in, but in the second, it only gets the id, and, if needed, rails creates a temp parent object from the id, which means I'm updating the temp parent object (and the database if it is saved!), not the original parent object in the parent.childs.create call, as I'd expected. For the second way to work, I need always add a parent.reload after a parent.childs.create.

Is this how rails/activerecord always works ? Is it a bug ?

Also, I did discover a way to find all objects related to a given record   ObjectSpace.each_object(parent) do |temp_parent| if temp_parent.id == parent.id ... , but it's too slow.

For now, I just have to remember to always use the Child.create(:parent => parent) form, but unless, someone has another suggestion, I'll likely migrate to rails 3.1 soon, to get identity map. For me, this should give more intuitive behaviour for activerecord.

My problem occurs when trying to modify a parent record from a child,

using an after_create callback in the child is created (they have a

has_many / belongs_to association).

After some more testing (checking object ids), I can get a test to

pass if I use (e.g.) :

1. Child.create(:parent => parent)

but not

1. parent.childs.create
  1. should create a record with the same attributes as the record created in 2).

If this isn’t happening then you need to check your associations. Can you share some code

regarding the associations?

I’m sure you’re just giving an example above but parent.childs should be parent.children.

I just used childs to show it was the plural. Would rails pluralize child to children ?

All the attributes match correct in both cases - including parent_id - but not parent. I assume the parent object is not a real attribute, as only parent_id is shown when I do an inspect.