gems screwed up, what now

I start with Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 with Rails 1.2.6 pre-installed:

cm-84:~ mikhailkovalev$ ruby -v ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [universal-darwin9.0]

Works perfectly. I read a tip on http://www.rubyonrails.org/down on how to update Rails with gems:

cm-84:~ mikhailkovalev$ sudo gem update rails Password: Updating installed gems... Attempting remote update of rails Successfully installed rails-2.0.2 1 gem installed Gems updated: rails

cm-84:~ mikhailkovalev$ rails -v /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ 1.8/rubygems.rb:379:in `report_activate_error': RubyGem version error: activesupport(1.4.2 not = 2.0.2) (Gem::LoadError) .....(further errors)

Very well, I search google and update gems, activesupport and whatever:

cm-84:~ mikhailkovalev$ sudo gem update --system cm-84:~ mikhailkovalev$ sudo gem update --source http://gems.rubyonrails.org

The second line happens with some minor errors. Now:

cm-84:~ mikhailkovalev$ rails /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ 1.8/rubygems.rb:379:in `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem activeresource (= 2.0.2) (Gem::LoadError) .....

I want to a) purge everything and do a clean re-install b) is there a way out of this c) back to php and see you in 2 years ? :frowning:

lets start with: ~$ gem list

you should have something like this:

actionmailer (2.0.2, 1.3.6, 1.3.3) actionpack (2.0.2, 1.13.6, 1.13.3) actionwebservice (1.2.6, 1.2.3) activerecord (2.0.2, 1.15.6, 1.15.3) activeresource (2.0.2) activesupport (2.0.2, 1.4.4, 1.4.2) rails (2.0.2, 1.2.6, 1.2.3)

+plus more...

Like mr Berci said if you look at the error you are missing activesupport 2.0.2 try

~$ sudo gem install activesource -v=2.0.2

you could also just do:

~$ sudo remove all the active* and rails then ~$ sudo install rails

that should bring you back to square one...

FYI ~$ sudo gem update --system updates the gem system files

~$ sudo gem update updates the gems them self

to check for updates for the gems use

~$ sudo gem outdated

Hope this helps and welcome to the club....

I deleted everything with sudo rm -r /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/ sudo rm -r /Library/Ruby sudo rm /usr/bin/ruby sudo rm /usr/bin/gem

And installed gem from scratch with macports sudo port install rb-rubygems

Took almost an hour. Now trying to update with: sudo gem update --system

cm-84:~ mikhailkovalev$ sudo gem update --system /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- sources (LoadError)   from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `require'   from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ source_info_cache.rb:6   from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `gem_original_require'   from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `require'   from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb: 12   from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `gem_original_require'   from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb: 27:in `require'   from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:112:in `manage_gems'   from /opt/local/bin/gem:10

False alarm, this fixed the problem

sudo port selfupdate sudo port uninstall rb-rubygems sudo port install rb-rubygems