gem error on Vista

Hi All,

I have to install a RoR development system on a new Vista notebook.

When I get to 'gem install anything' I get the following error.

c:\ruby>gem install mysql ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)     Errno::ECONNABORTED: An established connection was aborted by the software i n your host machine. reading RubyGems.org | your community gem host. gem

I have gem 1.1.0 installed

It does not appear to be a firewall issue !

This is Vista Business with SP1

cheers, Dave p.s. Please no comments about getting a Mac - that line is getting somewhat worn - I don't disagree that Mac is the best platform for RoR development, but this is being set up for an overseas trip and I'm also a Windows App developer, so to take two notebook is just not an option !

are you running cmd as administrator?

Yes I am - thanks for that... Dave

Jonzo wrote:

are you running cmd as administrator?

Shouldn't be necessary if Ruby and Rubygems are installed in their own directory outside of \Programs.

- -- Phillip Gawlowski Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan

~ "If people could put rainbows in zoos, they'd do it." -Hobbes

Here's a link to a thread that is mainly a flame war, but somewhere in the mix they mentioned that gems were broken and you had to remove gems.rubyonrails.org from your gems sources. This might not apply to vista though, and I couldn't really see through the flames to find more details on the solution, but here's the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/d26b0b76b169fe1

Thanks, but did not appear to have anything relevant - will keep trying... cheers, Dave

Were you able to install any other gems successfully?

What version of MySQL are you using BTW? Probably not related, but when I wrote up my recipe for Vista a couple of weeks ago, I ran in to issues with MySQL and the gem (see http://www.buildingwebapps.com/articles/20-setting-up-rails-on-windows-vista) I actually left UAC turned off on one of my passes through the instructions.

I've since received comments of folks running in to other problems doing things like gem update --system and getting access violations.

I'm away from my Vista VM at the moment, so can't check my current version numbers.

-Christopher

Thanks Chris - I actually ran through your guide to do this, so thanks for that...

I have UAC turned off, so I assume this is not an issue.

I seemed to get the same type of error on any 'gem install ... '

I may not get back to this until the weekend, but I'll keep you updated.

I also downloaded the InstandtRails install, but have not had time to try that yet. Let you know. regards, Dave