Freelancer Rates for RoR Developers

I’ve been programming PHP for 12 years, and CakePHP for 6 years - freelancing full time for most of that time.

I recently was accepted into Toptal (www.toptal.com), and unfortunately there isn’t a huge demand for CakePHP work like there was a couple of years ago.

There is a huge demand for RoR work however from what I could see!

I was curious to know what the average hourly rate was for a RoR freelancer based in Europe or America. I currently work as a CakePHP freelancer, often taking on long term projects for 15-20 hours per week. 2-3 projects at one time will full my week. I currently work remotely from Ireland.

I was just wondering if anyone has moved over from say PHP to RoR and if they have found that they are able to achieve higher hourly rates? And if so, any indication on the sort of rates that are achievable would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Depends on where you live in the US and ofcourse your level of experience, but it could be 70-90 to 100-125 to 150-200.

There is a huge demand for RoR work however from what I could see!

Yes. The past few years have been a very profitable time to be in RoR. It's been mainstream enough to have high demand, but not mainstream enough to have high supply. :wink:

I was curious to know what the average hourly rate was for a RoR freelancer based in Europe or America.

Highly variable, depending on exactly where you and your clients are (cost of living, tech scene, etc.), your level of experience/expertise, and what breaks you're willing to give to what kinds of clients, if any. In the USA, it also depends whether you mean on a "W2" (employee, albeit possibly temporary) or "1099" (freelancer, consultant, or contractor) basis. Since you've already been freelancing, you might know this, but forthe benefit of others: employees get some taxes paid for them and may have additional benefits, while "1099" people usually have to pay business licenses, business insurance, etc. (I ass-u-me there are similar categories in Europe.)

As for me, to tip my cards: on a 1099 basis, I am currently making $110/hour (after an agency takes its cut), the least I've done Rails for is $65 (years ago when I was just getting started in Rails freelancing, and didn't think it worth haggling on price for a four-hour "test drive"), and yet I still get recruiters offering me $40 with a straight face. But then, I have nearly three decades of software engineering experience in general.

taking on long term projects for 15-20 hours per week. 2-3 projects at one time will full my week.

That's great for stability, if you can get it. My clients usually want me full-time, except one who pops up with a day or two's worth of work every several months or so. However, I'm not sure if that's the nature of the Rails market (I haven't done much other freelancing), my clientele, or what.

I currently work remotely from Ireland.

So I take it you're not the Michael Houghton I know from near Washington DC. Or have you moved?

I was just wondering if anyone has moved over from say PHP to RoR and if they have found that they are able to achieve higher hourly rates?

I didn't move from PHP (mainly from plain old C), but I would think yes, your rates would go way up, due to vastly lower supply.

I imagine if you go through an agency they are taking a 25-30% cut.

I followed the Toptal path. Got Skype all set up. Received confirming message. And then I get this demand to take tests at codility.com. No instruction. I am told to take Free/Trial tests. I don't see anything. Liz

Have I missed something Liz, or did you reply to a message from 13 months ago?

Colin