Forms, database, and yes I'm new

I have a quick question on a problem of mine. I've done the ONLamp tutorial with scaffolding a recipe etc, and honesly I didn't get really any wiser. So I decided to try it out on my own without scaffolding.

However. Now I'm stuck with my edit-form. I need to update a row with old text in the 'pres' column in the table called 'presentations' in my database with a new text typed in with a form (in edit.rhtml).

My Edit method gets the 'pres' from the 'presentations'table but it doesn't update the edited 'pres' with the new text to the database when the submit button is clicked. I really can't understand why not? What is wrong with my code?

My Edit method gets the 'pres' from the 'presentations'table but it doesn't update the edited 'pres' with the new text to the database when the submit button is clicked. I really can't understand why not? What is wrong with my code?

def update   @presentation = current_user.presentation(params[:id])   if @presentation.update_attributes(params[:pres])       redirect_to :action => 'info'

[snip]

<p><label for="pres">Edit Information</label><br/> <%= text_area 'presentation', 'pres' %></p>

text_area (and other similar) helpers will make the submitted parameters available as params[:presentation] since that's the name of the object you're editing. Use if @presentation.update_attributes(params[:presentation]) and you should be fine.

Fred

Thank you Fred for solving my problem and explaining! Im very greatful