Following the Simply Rails 2 pdf - should I use rails 2.3.3?

Since a couple versions have been released since the Simply Rails book, should I revert back to an earlier version of rails to better follow the book? I'm what you'd call a super noob, and I'd rather make it as easy as possible on myself while I follow the book. I think it uses rails 2.0, should I revert back to that to better learn the concepts? and then switch back and learn the differences?

It seems like a very well designed book and I'm trying to make my first foray into rails (and programming for that matter) as easy as possible. If I do stay with rails 2.3.3 would I incur very many problems?

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated.

AlwaysCharging wrote:

Since a couple versions have been released since the Simply Rails book, should I revert back to an earlier version of rails to better follow the book?

Absolutely not. If no version of Simply Rails is available for 2.3 (the current stable version), then don't use Simply Rails.

I'm what you'd call a super noob, and I'd rather make it as easy as possible on myself while I follow the book. I think it uses rails 2.0, should I revert back to that to better learn the concepts? and then switch back and learn the differences?

No. Don't start learning on a version that's already obsolete for new development.

It seems like a very well designed book and I'm trying to make my first foray into rails (and programming for that matter) as easy as possible.

There are many well-designed books that work with the current version of Rails. Use one.

If I do stay with rails 2.3.3 would I incur very many problems?

Probably not, but why make life more difficult as you learn?

Best,

Thank you Marnen for this, as I think it's slightly more helpful than just "use 2.2.2." I was going to ask the differences between 2.2.2 and 2.0 (which is what's used in the book); however, I'll instead now ask what current version Rails books you recommend?

> If I do stay with rails 2.3.3 would I incur very many > problems?

Probably not, but why make life more difficult as you learn?

It was just that the simply rails 2 book is very well laid out, and I thought it would be a great way to get acquainted with rails, and then just learn the changes to 2.3.3.

I recommend you use the same version as used in the book, that's what I did. Once you are done with the book, then upgrade Rails and learn its new features.

Since a couple versions have been released since the Simply Rails

book, should I revert back to an earlier version of rails to better

follow the book? I’m what you’d call a super noob, and I’d rather

make it as easy as possible on myself while I follow the book. I

think it uses rails 2.0, should I revert back to that to better learn

the concepts? and then switch back and learn the differences?

It seems like a very well designed book and I’m trying to make my

first foray into rails (and programming for that matter) as easy as

possible. If I do stay with rails 2.3.3 would I incur very many

problems?

Hi, the books are a little bit behind because Rails is evolving with

every release. Thus, if you’re going to stick with Rails 2.3.3, I would

recommend Rails guides which are located at the following address:

http://guides.rails.info/

Also, if you have/(have not) purchased “Agile Web Development with Rails 3ed”,

I would recommend this book because most of the material is relevant and you’ll

also find an addendum/errata for Rails 2.3.3 support.

Good luck,

-Conrad