Finding data in Rails

Hi All,

I have 3 model, User, Post, Comment with definition like below

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base       belongs_to :user       has_many :comments       def self.find_other_user_posts            ?       end     end     class User < ActiveRecord::Base       has_many :posts       has_many :comments       has_many :posts_commented_on, :through => :comments, :source => :posts     end     class Comment< ActiveRecord::Base       belongs_to :post       belongs_to :user     end

User can have many post and many comment, question is I want to make method in Post model that returning collection of posts. The method will find posts and comments that doesn't belong to current user. For example there are

Post: A have Comment: A1 Post: B have Comment: B1, B2, B3, B4 Post: C have Comment: C1, C2 Post: D have Comment: nil Post: E have Comment: nil Post: F have Comment: F1, F2, F3

current user own Post A, E and Comment A1, B2, so calling :

@posts = Post.find_other_user_posts

will return collection of C, D, F posts.

Thanks

If you want that to be a class method on Post you'll have to pass in the id of the user I think.

How about something like:

def self.find_other_users_posts(this_user)     self.find(:all, :conditions => ["user_id <> ?", this_user.id])   end

HTH,

-Roy

My two cents would be to have a look at Searchlogic, It's my latest favorite and I find a use for it in every rails project I do...

http://github.com/binarylogic/searchlogic

Make it a named_scope instead of a function so that it can be chained in the future.

Class Post named_scope :other_users_posts, lambda { |user_object| {:conditions=> ["user_id <> ?", user_object.id]}} end

You can then do a Post.other_users_post(User.first) as an example and chain it just like other active record finder functions.

Ah, @Roy, sorry but the solution doesn't work. The question is to return C, D, F because current user doesn't own C, D, F, and current user doesn't make any comment on C, D, F. Actually there are 2 condition I want to achieve, I want to return collection of post that : 1. Other than my own post OR Haven't read it yet OR Post not created by me. 2. And Post that haven't got my Comment at all because if I'm already make a Comment on a Post then it assume that I'm already read the post before.

So what I want is a Post that is very very new to me and I want to read it and make Comment. How to do that ?

@Roy, wow I search and learn "searchlogic" and it's very very logic and super duper easy, thanks. @Mukund, hanks for named_scope suggestion I search the article and learn it and found out IT'S VERY COOL, especially the chain part. :slight_smile:

@heimdull, wow I search and learn "searchlogic" and it's very very logic and super duper easy, thanks. (sorry, mistype)