Field update, best practice

Hi everybody.. I'm stuck with a strange (stupid) problem I can't understand.

I'm trying to do this in the articles_controller:

def updatecollection     @arts = Article.find_by_solr("14 MAY 91").results

@arts.each do |doc|       @sub = doc.title[15,150]        # Updating one record:        doc.title = @sub       doc.save

end end

It loads but i doesn't update the article..the strange fact is that if I do the same process for a single doc in the console it works.. so what's wrong? something in the .each do? thanks!

(any different solution it's fine for me :wink: )

Hi everybody.. I'm stuck with a strange (stupid) problem I can't understand.

I'm trying to do this in the articles_controller:

def updatecollection @arts = Article.find_by_solr("14 MAY 91").results

@arts.each do |doc| @sub = doc.title[15,150] # Updating one record: doc.title = @sub doc.save

Test the return value from save here to see if it succeeded. Perhaps it is failing validation.

Colin

My Guess is that try eliminating the results     @arts = Article.find_by_solr("14 MAY 91").results from this and try using     @arts = Article.find_by_solr("14 MAY 91")

> Hi everybody.. I'm stuck with a strange (stupid) problem I can't > understand.

> I'm trying to do this in the articles_controller:

> def updatecollection > @arts = Article.find_by_solr("14 MAY 91").results

> @arts.each do |doc| > @sub = doc.title[15,150] > # Updating one record: > doc.title = @sub > doc.save

Test the return value from save here to see if it succeeded. Perhaps it is failing validation.

Colin

but I get true doing it on console...could it be different on the app controller? anyway how do i test it? something like:

if doc.save puts "true"

?

thx

No, have a look at the Rails Guide on debugging. There are various options, I would use ruby-debug and break in at that point.

Colin