faster rails server under XP

I'm new to rails world, so I've use InstantRails to play with it.

Webrick is great in this respect, but looks like it allow only one "task" at a time.

I've tried to use apache, but it's very-very slow compared to webrick. I do something wrong?

What is the recomended configuration under XP? I plan to test/use the application still under development with other friends from this "server". What I need is a step-by-step tutorial, as I don't know what I'm doing :-(, so should be easy to install.

rosoft2001 wrote:

Webrick is great in this respect, but looks like it allow only one "task" at a time.

I've tried to use apache, but it's very-very slow compared to webrick. I do something wrong?

What is the recomended configuration under XP? I plan to test/use the application still under development with other friends from this "server". What I need is a step-by-step tutorial, as I don't know what I'm doing :-(, so should be easy to install.

>   

Check out mongrel http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/index.html It works on windows and is fast. For development you can run one instance of it but if you want to deploy to production then you will want to look into using mongrel_cluster with some sort of other web server for static files like apache or lighttpd.

Matthew Margolis blog.mattmargolis.net

If you look inside the root Instant Rails directory, you’ll see that Mongrel is included (but not yet accessible through the Manager’s UI). The next release of Instant Rails (which should be out in a few weeks) drops SCGI and uses Mongrel, instead.

Curt

Curt Hibbs wrote:

rosoft2001 wrote:

It sounds as if Apache is calling your Rails application through CGI, which loads Ruby, Rails and your application on every request, rather than one of the faster options (SCGI, FastCGI, proxying to Mongrel...) which use long-running processes with your application loaded at process startup.

regards

Justin Forder

YES, this works!

I even start it as a service, so I don't have the cmd windows open, with

mongrel_rails_service install -n myapp -r c:\my\path\to\myapp -p 4000 -e production mongrel_rails_service start -N myapp

Thanks!

Yes, it works, but not as I expected:

if I open 2 browsers, the second one wait until the first one finish the job, looks like it's still 1 user at a time.

Any idea?

rosoft2001 wrote:

Yes, it works, but not as I expected:

if I open 2 browsers, the second one wait until the first one finish the job, looks like it's still 1 user at a time.

If you are using a single instance of Mongrel, it will only handle one request at a time. For production use, you would use multiple Mongrel instances, behind a server that distributes the HTTP requests to them.

regards

Justin Forder