EZ_Where help, field IS NULL

Hi Alex-

I am trying to create a conditions caluse with ez_where that looks like:

["enabled = ? AND age_min <= ? AND (age_max >= ? OR age_max IS NULL)",    true, range[:max], range[:min]]

Everything is fine except for the last part: "OR age_max IS NULL"

The problem seems to stem that ez_where does not provide a way to use "IS NULL" and "IS NOT NULL". Here is what I tried so far:

conditions = Caboose::EZ::Condition.new do       enabled == true       age_min <= range[:max]       any do         age_max >= range[:min]         age_max == nil       end     end

But this leaves that last clause out resulting in:   "enabled = ? AND age_min <= ? AND (age_max >= ?)"

I had some minor luck with using append inside the any block:

any do     age_max >= range[:min]     append 'age_max IS NULL'   end

however this generates the appended clause with an AND instead of an OR.

Any tips?

You can't just use nil on the right hand side of an ez_where expression because it will leave out that expression as you discovered. This is so you don't have to say

foo == params[:bar] if params[:bar]

you can leave off the if part and if params[:bar] is nil that statement will be left out of the query. This makes complex queried way easier to write. But it also makes IS NULL a special case so there is a special syntax for that:

conditions = EZ::Where::Condition.new do        enabled == true        age_min <= range[:max]        any do          age_max >= range[:min]          age_max == :null        end      end

Also it looks like you are using an old version, please update to the latest here:

svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/ez-where

So for now the way to do IS NULL and IS NOT NULL is liek this:

# IS NULL

foo == :null

# IS NOT NULL

foo! == :null

or append like you used.

-Ezra