Extra field being added to db with multiple select?

Hi all,

First of all, please bear in mind my absolute noobness to Rails and in fact to programming in general. I have a question regarding a multiple select box. I've managed to get it working with the following code in my _form view:

<p><label for="vacancy_tech">Tech</label><br/> <%= select_tag('vacancy[tech]', options_for_select(['css', 'php', 'Java']), {:multiple => true}) %>

The problem is, when multiple values are selected, extra dashes get added to the DB. A direct sql query to the db shows this for this field:

--- - css - php - Java

The dash added as a field separator is fine, but the 3 dashes at the beginning is not... So I tried to find out where these dashes where being added, and using the Tamper Data Firefox extension showed me that the request was being sent nicely, with the same number of parameters that were selected. The next logical step seemed to be to check the controller, so I added the following code to the default create method:

def create     string = params[:vacancy].fetch("tech")     @vacancy = Vacancy.new(params[:vacancy])     if @vacancy.save       flash[:notice] = string       redirect_to :action => 'list'     else       render :action => 'new'     end   end

But the string that gets flashed shows again only the parameters select, without any field separators or the first three dashes. What's going on? What am I missing here? How do I get rid of the dashes? Again, apologies if I am asking a very stupid question...

Best,

Fernando