Multi Select Drop Down Save Data to mysql

We are working on a database and need the capabilities to have a drop down field (list) that can handle multiple selections. For example, if it say to me please enter your favorite cars from this list and wanted to use a list instead of a checkbox, it is possible. However, we cannot figure out how to store the data in the database, retrieve the values from the database and the type of field to choose. We know in PHP this is called "form array data" but the code for ruby seems limited. Anyone know where we can find code for ruby on rails to do this? Thank you in advance!

-David

David wrote:

We are working on a database and need the capabilities to have a drop down field (list) that can handle multiple selections.

WRT the type of field to use to collect the selections, see the documentation for select_tag at http://api.rubyonrails.org/ . Can't figure out what it is you're stuck on wrt to the other items.

hth, Bill

This is the html code and the backend is a ruby on rails server connecting to mysql. We need to use a selection box to give a list of options that you can choose multiple entries and submit the form. It should store the multientry field so it can be retrieved and show selected when editing the data again. Sorry if this is confusing but I am not sure hwo to explain it.

<select name="myrep[RepFor]" multiple="multiple" id="myrep_RepFor">

<option value="0">Select One</option>

<% @rflists.each do |keyword| %>

<option value="<%= keyword.id %>"

<%= ' selected' if keyword.id == @myrep.RepFor %>> <%= keyword.keyword %> </option>

<% end %>

</select>

We need to use a selection box to give a list of options that you can choose multiple entries and submit the form.

select_tag will get you this.

It should store the multientry field so it can be retrieved

Without knowing more about your model, it's not possible to offer any constructive advice.

and show selected when editing the data again.

I haven't tried it, but I'd be willing to bet select_tag will do this too inasmuchas it takes a string for the options.

hth, Bill

Bill is right:

select_tag( 'myrep', @rflists, :multiple => true )

OR

select("myrep", "repfor", @rflists.collect {|k| [ k.keyword, k.id ] } )

** Untested code from a rails newbie....

thank you...will try this tonight when I get home and will update you after. Thanks again for the quick replies.

just curious, should the mysql field be char or int?

Once we figure this out the 2nd part will be to perform a join from the information stored in this field back to our keyword list table and return the text values. We have a table with a coupld hundred keyword values that are used throughout the system so it will need to join back to show in the list. It always the stupid little things like this that get us stuck.

thanks again

david

Rails expects things to be structured a certain way in order to perform its magic (convention over configuration).

If the foreign key is named after the table it refers to with a trailing "_id", then rails can do all the joining for you as described by your models. Specifics are a little tricky without the schema but check out

for clues.

So we go it to store the values or so we think...this is what we see in the varchar field...is that the right data type for the field? Should we do int? Those numbers correspond to our keyword table and the key from that table.

--- - "1830" - "1832" - "1833"

using this code:

<% @selected = @myrep.RepFor.collect { |m| m.id.to_i } %>

<%= select_tag ('myrep[RepFor]', options_from_collection_for_select(@rflists,"id","keyword", @selected), :multiple => true ) %>

however, we are not sure how to get it to show the values that were selected when going into the edit form. I have to say we have written so many things in ruby and this has been by far the most frustrating (due to lack of doc).

All the examples I have seen use int as the data type - probably best to stick with it.

One thing I have learnt so far with ruby - if it is difficult you are doing something wrong. How about this?

options_for_select(@rflists, @myrep.RepFor)

* Not sure of how you arrays are constructed, but it should be this simple....

it not difficult...the code just does not seem to work as it should. Your code might work if we were using a regular list. However, our values come from another table that hold our keywords. I wish I could just show you and then it would make sense.

Unfortunately the documentation for rails is poor, which does not help newbies like myself, or even experienced developers like DHH (see http://coderpath.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=160139). We need documentation like Django's.

Throw a few dollars at Parked at Loopia to help out...

David wrote:

it not difficult...the code just does not seem to work as it should. Your code might work if we were using a regular list. However, our values come from another table that hold our keywords. I wish I could just show you and then it would make sense.

Ahh - now I see the reasons - the arrays do not line up like I thought. Are they related via foreign keys? If so you will be able to build a single array that sticks it all together, then use a variation of the code above.

It is based on a foreign key. The table field myrep contains the foreign key relation from the keyword table. The numbers 1830, 1832 and 1833 (seen above) are the id of the entries in the keyword table. We normally write sql statements to join them together (for single instance drop down boxes). However, in this case we cannot figure out how to pull apart the string array stored in the varchar field. If you could pull it apart I am pretty sure we could do some sql stuff to join the names in the list. Do you know how to parse the string array stored in the varchar field?

It is so strange when it comes to ruby 99% of the things are so easy but this one has us in a tail spin. I have been writing in ruby on rails for about a year now and the lack of doc has made it a bit difficult but not hard....but it is getting there between this google site the api site.

Thanks again for your help!

How about:

keywords = "1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5" keywords.split => ["1", "2", "3", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5"] keywords.split.uniq =>["1", "2", "3", "4", "5"] keywords.split.uniq.each do |keyword|   # do fancy stuff here end