expanding the range of fast_string_to_time

Recently, in looking at profiling data from two different applications, I found that something like 5% of the application's time was being spent in converting strings to times on database fetches. Digging in, I found that the "fast" routine for doing this only worked if there was no timezone in the string. I ended up monkeypatching this in:

# Rails has a "fast" time parsing shortcut when the database returns   # a timestamp string without timezone. Unfortunately, ours does return a   # timezone, but it's always UTC ("+00"). Hack so we can use the   # fast routine still   module ConnectionAdapters     class Column       module Format         ISO_DATETIME_TZ = /\A(\d{4})-(\d\d)-(\d\d) (\d\d):(\d\d):(\d\d)(\.\d+)?(\+\d\d)?\z/       end

class << self         protected         def fast_string_to_time(string)           if string =~ Format::ISO_DATETIME_TZ             tz = $8             if tz && !(tz == "+00" && Base.default_timezone == :utc)               return nil             end

microsec = ($7.to_f * 1_000_000).to_i             new_time $1.to_i, $2.to_i, $3.to_i, $4.to_i, $5.to_i, $6.to_i, microsec           end         end       end     end   end

I don't know how generally applicable this patch would be. Clearly, it only helps if both your DB and your Rails app are configured to run in UTC. We use PostgreSQL, and I don't know if the same formating is used by other databases. But, I thought I would throw it out for comments.

-kevin

I don't know how generally applicable this patch would be. Clearly, it only helps if both your DB and your Rails app are configured to run in UTC. We use PostgreSQL, and I don't know if the same formating is used by other databases. But, I thought I would throw it out for comments.

This looks like a nice enhancement to the postgresql adapter. If this is the only format that postgresql will send back for time with timezone, then this seems like a great addition. If you create a lighthouse ticket and attach a patch, people using other versions of postgresql can verify it makes sense.