ExecJS::RuntimeError in Users#index when doing second demo...

Hi all,

am working through Michael Hartl's tutorial and can't get past the start of the second tutorial. i've tried everything i can think of at this point, lots of googling etc.. no luck.. found a reference to the problem on google and the execjs has been "fixed" for this bug but it doesn't seem to fix it on my sys - i double checked the gem version and i have the newest.. still no luck.

I'm using Windows XP, ruby 1.8.7, rails 3.1.0 and i also tried the new rc1 version.. same problems...

here's the error: ExecJS::RuntimeError in Users#index

Showing /home/max/rails_proj/demo_app/app/views/layouts/ application.html.erb where line #6 raised:

湉異⁴牅潲㩲唠歮潮湷漠瑰潩⼢浴⽰硥捥獪〲ㄱ㤰㔲㈭㈹ⴸ㘱〵戴⵪⸰獪•灳捥晩敩⹤਍   (in /home/max/rails_proj/demo_app/app/assets/javascripts/ users.js.coffee) Extracted source (around line #6):

3: <head> 4: <title>DemoApp</title> 5: <%= stylesheet_link_tag "application" %> 6: <%= javascript_include_tag "application" %> 7: <%= csrf_meta_tags %> 8: </head> 9: <body> Rails.root: /home/max/rails_proj/demo_app

Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace app/views/layouts/application.html.erb:6:in `_app_views_layouts_application_html_erb__1031573605_1065703900' app/controllers/users_controller.rb:7:in `index'

thanks for any help...

I had the same problem, that I solved installing a java runtime in Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install nodejs

I follow this post: http://www.adanacs.com/node/3

To be clear, the problem is caused by the lack of javascript runtime support NOT java. For a list of libraries see https://github.com/sstephenson/execjs

An alternative to installing node.js is to simply add gem "therubyracer" to your Gemfile and run "bundle install" again.

PS - I've needed to add javascript support when installing on both Ubuntu and Debian recently. Specifically, I get a ExecJS::RuntimeUnavailable error when trying to run "rails generate" or "rails server" on a newly installed 3.1.1. ("rails new" runs without complaint.) The fixes above get things rolling again. Is there a known bug that I've missed somehow?

Dan Nachbar