Essential Mac Software

Just put an order in for a new mac. I’m coming from windows so I’d be interested in knowing what software you guys recommend. Here’s the essential software I use on windows for comparison. So far TextMate is on my must buy list.

Rails Editor: RadRails FTP: FileZilla Actionscript Editor: FlashDevelop CVS/CVN: TortoiseCVS/SVN Diff Tool: WinMerge

Adium for chat Quicksilver (an awesome launcher) Newsfire RSS and Acquisition for illegal downloads.....

Ross

Editor: Textmate FTP: Transmit - its not free but there is no better FTP client. Terminal.app - some people favour iTerm because it has tabs but you can get around this by using Screen. I like Terminal because I think the font rendering is better, its faster (iTerm seems clunky) and you can use the cool Visor addon for a Quake-style dropdown console. Subversion: I use the CLI. Diff: Unix diff - Textmate has a good Diff mode for color coding.

Other essentials: Adium for IM, Parallels for testing in IE, and the absolute essential - Quicksilver, for launching and much more.

SVN: svnX is OK. It's nothing amazing, but it works. Command line svn is good too.

MISC: If you need to build clean diagrams easily (object models, etc.), OmniGraffle Pro[1] is really good. I use the Pro version, because of the tables feature. Next to TextMate it's my favorite piece of commercial Mac software. Worth every penny.

I've also been messing around with the free version of Jude[2] for UML diagramming. It blows ArgoUML[3] away, but OmniGraffle is still my preferred app for cranking out a quick and good looking diagram.

[1] http://www.omnigroup.com/ [2] http://jude.change-vision.com/jude-web/index.html [3] http://argouml.tigris.org/

-- James

Other essentials: Adium for IM, Parallels for testing in IE, and the absolute essential - Quicksilver, for launching and much more.

I'd like to suggest two other essentials -- well, one essential and one very nice to have:

* SuperDuper -- backup and recovery software www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

* clix -- a "GUI command-line tool". Since you're new to the MacOS, what's *great* about this program is that it shows you the shell commands (or, it'll run them for you) for some Mac-specific goodies. For example, there's a command to turn on Safari's hidden Debug menu; change the scrollbar settings on the default Aqua GUI to display double-arrows; list and clean-out all those annoying DS_Store files; etc. Very handy reference, methinks, and it's free.

rixstep.com/4/0/clix/features.shtml

I had never heard of this before. Wow.

Thank you!

-- James

Rails Editor: TextMate FTP: command line Actionscript Editor: I don't CVS/SVN: command line Diff Tool: FileMerge (part of Xcode tools)

I've been using this stuff for 15 years (ie, I'm a NeXTie, not old-time Apple), and you need third party add-ons a lot less than you might think, as a Windows user.

However, honourable mentions go to OmniGraffle and OmniOutliner (some combinations of which ship with new Macs), and the only addition I would make is Keynote for presentations.

Looking at my Dock, I also have and use regularly: Openbase, Eclipse (sorry, Java pays bills), Chicken of the VNC, YourSQL, SpamSieve, and WoW.

Paul

X11 (from the MacOS X install disc) Fink (fink.sf.net and use unstable), and use it to install:   ruby working version of the interpreter   ruby18-dev headers for native gems   svn-client-ssl subversion client   vim editor   postgresql80-ssl RDBMS   postgresql80-ssl-dev headers for native postgres gem   (alternately: mysql and mysql-dev)   imagemagick image manipulation   imagemagick10-dev headers for native RMagick gem   gaim-ssl instant messaging X-Chat Aqua (xchataqua.sf.net) for IRC (yay, #rubyonrails and #ruby-lang) You Control: Desktops (www.yousoftware.com $30) for virtual desktops

Firefox is a no-brainer, and so is RubyGems. I'll second Parallels for testing in IE. I prefer vim over Textmate, xterm over Terminal.app, and gaim over iChat, but YMMV. I cannot stress enough how worthwhile You Control: Desktops is; I dearly love virtual desktops, and You sells an excellent implementation thereof for a very reasonable price.

--Greg

Is Fink a package manager? What’s the difference between that and Darwin Ports?

} Is Fink a package manager? What's the difference between that and Darwin } Ports?

Fink is a package manager. Much as DarwinPorts derives from the FreeBSD ports system, Fink derives from the Debian apt system. I prefer it largely because I am more comfortable with Debian than FreeBSD. Again, YMMV.

--Greg

You can continue to use RadRails if you like. everything else can b done from the terminal shell

I didn't see anyone else mention it, so I'll say it myself: Thunderbird over iMail. I gave iMail a chance, I really did. It's just way too basic for my needs. I'm using Thunderbird for my corporate mail and continuing to use GMail for personal.

Poke around for automator workflows to handle archiving stuff as well...I found a pretty nice one that gives a right-click "zip" action. I'm making it my personal quest to avoid Stuffit, because it seems too "old world" for me and I can't imagine paying for archiving software these days.

Oh man, I have SO MANY!

Most of them have been said, but I'll reiterate them anyways.

AIM: Adium (bad with file transfers though, use iChat for that)

IRC: Colloquoy

**Quicksilver is a must!!!!**

Desktop Manager (for having multiple desktops, switch between them with cool gui shifts... example being you have four desktops, and you rotate around a cube to show different desktops)

SVN: ZigVersion (still in beta, but it's very simple!)

SQL: CocoaSQL (very quickly and easily view your database from this amazing program)

Acquisition + Azureus for P2P

Audacity for Audio editing

Chicken of the VNC for WinVNC

FinkCommander for getting your favorite 'nix flavor program ports!

iEatBrainz for automatically entering ID3 tags for MP3s

iLinkPod for grabbing MP3's off of your iPod

MacStumbler for checking Wireless activity (strengths, etc)

Toast 6 Titanium for all things ISO/Burning etc.

***IMPORTANT: VLC for all video playback!***

FTP: Transmit

File merging: OSX has a built in file merger!!! FileMerge (c'mon mac guys, how'd u miss this one)

Database graphic design: OmniGraffle (so simple and powerful)

__________Widgets_________ SysStat SeeSS CSS Cheat Sheet

Congratulations on switching! You'll never go back! You'll be an apple zealot soon enough...

-Ben Lisbakken

I would say:

Rails Editor: Textmate FTP: Fetch Actionscript Editor: bedit CVS/CVN: cli Diff Tool: bbedit X term: Mac OSX X client

If you program and work with *lots* of files. Nothing beats bbedit for text editing function. Textmate is awesome for Rails and Ruby and it's macros are way productive. But it still doesn't have the level text manipulation that you can get in bbedit. Things I miss when I work in Textmate are grep, batch find and replace entire directory trees, diff between files, diff between directories - recrusively, subversion client built in, and man many more. I use both though. Textmate gets more and more use every day and bbedit is just there when I need it. bbedit - it still doesn't suck.

If you work with MySQL databases Navicat is a must have. The best db tool for MySQL I've seen. If you work with Oracle there is a free tool called SQL Manager you can download from there site.

Locomotive for quick Rails testing and development on my laptop and when not connected to the network.

If you need to connect to ldap servers for queries you basically have the cli or this older Java tool called LdapBrowser.

But I think I'm going to install Paralells so I can run LdapAdministrator.

I wish Adobe would stop sucking us dry.....I found out I'm going to have to buy all new CS apps and Studio apps for Intel universal version. Right......thanks Adobe for milking me for another $2k.

- phill

blinking bear wrote:

RailsEditor: Textmate Virtualization: MS Virtual PC

Freebies: Virtual Desktop Manager: Desktop Manager or Virtue Desktop FTP : Interarchy MySQL Client: CocoaMySQL Chat : Adium Subversion Client: svnX Search : QuickSilver

Hi, Adobe hasn't released Universal Binaries for both their CS and Studio applications. This is expected in the next major release of these apps. However, these apps run very well in emulation mode.

-Conrad

ms virtual pc on a mac? wtf?

as im going to get an ibook in very near future, too, i have one additiopnal question: how much hdd space does OSX use?

Yes, I know all of this. But the point I'm making is I will have to PAY for the UB in CS3. Which will be around another 500-1k. Which kinda stinks since I just bought CS2 and Studio not even a month ago.

Thanks, phill

Conrad Taylor wrote:

A list Dion & Ben of ajaxian have put together, with some help from me and teammembers:

http://dion.tadalist.com/lists/public/215561

- Rob

Have you looked at FileMerge from the Apple Developer Tools?