Error installing Rails on Ubuntu 11.10 (Gem::DependencyError)

I'm trying to install Ruby on Rails on Ubuntu 11.10, but receiving this error:

$ sudo gem install rails     ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::DependencyError)         Unable to resolve dependencies: rails requires activesupport (= 3.2.3), actionpack (= 3.2.3), activerecord (= 3.2.3), activeresource (= 3.2.3), actionmailer (= 3.2.3), railties (= 3.2.3)

How can I fix this?

Note: Git (1.7.5.4 ) and Ruby (1.9.2p290) are installed properly.

How did you installed Ruby? Do you have an updated rubygems?

gem update --system

Actually, that might not work on a Debian based distro if rubygems has been installed via apt packages. That's why I asked how Ruby was installed.

I strongly advise that you use rvm to install ruby and rails (I am assuming that you are not using rvm as you have used sudo on gem install).

Colin

Hi,

Colin is right, using RVM has lots of advantages! You can have multiple Rubies and Gem versions, Gemsets for projects, etc. Highly recommend because without it you're gonna have a tone of Gem version problems later.

We made a 1 line script for Ubuntu which installs Wayne's RVM, with RVM installs a Ruby version 1.9.2 then creates a Gemset which installs Rails3.2. Just updated it for you! :slight_smile: Would be great if you'd give a try. Report me back how it worked please, I'd like to publish it.

https://github.com/YogiZoli/RVMinstallerForUbuntu

Welcome on Rails! YogiZoli