Error generated after calling form_for

Hello list,

I’m a fairly nooby Rails developer of very little brain, and this error has had me confused for the last several hours.

It’s a very simple (unfinished) Rails app. It has a model called Tasks. It has a very basic routes.rb

resources :tasks

root :to => ‘tasks#index’

A vanilla controller (create action not properly defined yet because that would have been next on the list when I ran into this problem)

class TasksController < ApplicationController

def index

@tasks = Tasks.all

end

def new

@task = Tasks.new

end

def create

end

end

And a view for the /tasks/new action

Create new task

<%= form_for @task do |form| %>

<%= lots of form. blah blah here… %>

<% end %>

And when the view is rendered I get the following error:

undefined method `tasks_index_path' for #<#<Class:0x000000020c04e8>:0x000000020b74d8>

Extracted source (around line #2):

1: <h1>Create new task</h1>
2: <%= form_for @task do |form| %>

And here are the top few lines of the stack trace:

actionpack (3.0.0) lib/action_dispatch/routing/polymorphic_routes.rb:114:in `polymorphic_url'
actionpack (3.0.0) lib/action_dispatch/routing/polymorphic_routes.rb:120:in `polymorphic_path'
actionpack (3.0.0) lib/action_view/helpers/form_helper.rb:335:in `apply_form_for_options!'
actionpack (3.0.0) lib/action_view/helpers/form_helper.rb:307:in `form_for'
app/views/tasks/new.html.erb:2:in `_app_views_tasks_new_html_erb__194514136627382544_17145340__4434388515179536201'

I don’t really understand where “tasks_index_path” came from or why form_for has bombed out so spectacularly, especially given how simple the code is right now. Can anyone point me at what I might be doing wrong?

Oh yes, it’s rails 3.0.0 on ruby 1.9.2 running on Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello list,

Hi Mark,

I'm a fairly nooby Rails developer of very little brain, and this error has had me confused for the last several hours.

It's a very simple (unfinished) Rails app. It has a model called Tasks. It has a very basic routes.rb

resources :tasks   root :to => 'tasks#index'

A vanilla controller (create action not properly defined yet because that would have been next on the list when I ran into this problem)

class TasksController < ApplicationController

def index     @tasks = Tasks.all   end

def new     @task = Tasks.new   end

def create   end

end

models are always singular in rails. Try the following:

def index      @tasks = Task.all    end

def new      @task = Task.new    end

That should help.

Regards, Max.

Mmm, perhaps you meant that all models should be singular in rails. Mine weren’t! However after a couple of quick search-and-replaces I had a singular Task model and suddenly the form_for error went away. Interesting side-effect. Maybe warnings about pluralised models in the docs need to be in really BIG RED LETTERS so that idiots like me will notice them.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Mark

Mark Weston wrote:

That should help.

Regards, Max.

Mmm, perhaps you meant that all models *should* be singular in rails. Mine weren't! However after a couple of quick search-and-replaces I had a singular Task model and suddenly the form_for error went away. Interesting side-effect. Maybe warnings about pluralised models in the docs need to be in really BIG RED LETTERS so that idiots like me will notice them.

Remember: try to name your classes after what they actually represent! A Task object represents one Task, so you really *shouldn't* call it Tasks.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Mark

Best,