Error during failsafe response:

I have a form_tag that works fine using html, but when I use ajax with
the remote => true I am getting this error:-
My terminal log shows:-
Started GET "/" for 127.0.0.1 at 2010-11-01 01:19:49 +0000
  Processing by HomepagesController#index as HTML
  Homepage Load (0.6ms) SELECT "homepages".* FROM "homepages"
Rendered homepages/index.html.erb within layouts/application (23.0ms)
Completed 200 OK in 40ms (Views: 27.3ms | ActiveRecord: 0.6ms)
Error during failsafe response: incompatible encoding regexp match
(UTF-8 regexp with ASCII-8BIT string)
***** then a load of cleaner.rb stuff
then:-
Started GET "/homepages?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=hom" for 127.0.0.1 at
2010-11-01 01:19:56 +0000
  Processing by HomepagesController#index as JS
  Parameters: {"utf8"=>"✓", "search"=>"hom"}
  Homepage Load (0.5ms) SELECT "homepages".* FROM "homepages" WHERE
(section LIKE '%hom%')
Rendered homepages/index.js.erb (2.9ms)
Completed in 19ms

In my index.js.erb I have:-
$("testsearch").update("<%= escape_javascript(render(@homepages))%>");

and in my Controller I have:-
  def index
    @homepages = Homepage.search(params[:search])
    respond_to do |format|
      format.html # index.html.erb
      format.xml { render :xml => @homepages }
      format.js { render :layout => false }
end
in my view I have:-
<div id = "testsearch"> which prints @homepages using a table using <%
@homepages.each do |homepage| %> which is not being updated.

Anyone have any ideas as to why I get this error.

I have cracked it by going onto an IRC chat room (irc.freenode.net
RubyonRails) and a ProjectZen (human being somewhere out there in the
ether) helped me to get it working.

Apparently what was happening was that I was following Ryan Bates who
does many extremely good Railcast videos, but he builds on previous
Railcast. Therefore in his 205 Railscast, which deals with Ajax calls,
he did not mention that you must have:-

format.js in the action in the controller.

His xxxx.searchxxxxx needs to be created in the controller or model.

And that when I did :-

<%= render(@homepages)%> (in his case <%= render(@products)%>)

The render was looking for a partial called "_homepage" (not
"homepages") (I did not even have a partial therefore I got the UTF8
to ASCII error).

And then in "_homepage" I would add my code to render the results.

What I have now done in my index.html.erb is to put <%=
render(@homepages)%> , in the (div id = testsearch) in place of the
code I use to render @homepages and then place that code in a partial
"_homepage". Now I can use "_homepage" for the html and the Ajax call.

At the moment I have a slight problem in that it is rendering all the
data in the"@homepages" as many times as the number of records. At the
moment I do not know why, but at least the Ajax call is working.