Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

Hi I am a new fedora user and i am installing ROR on my machine. but when i try to enter the following command, it shows the following errors. can any one please tell me how can i solve this problem.

[smehsan@localhost proone]$ rake db:create #<Mysql2::Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (13 "Permission denied")> Couldn't create database for {"adapter"=>"mysql2", "encoding"=>"utf8", "pool"=>5, "username"=>"root", "password"=>nil, "socket"=>"/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock", "database"=>"proone_development"}, {:charset=>"utf8", :collation=>"utf8_unicode_ci"} (If you set the charset manually, make sure you have a matching collation) #<Mysql2::Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (13 "Permission denied")> Couldn't create database for {"adapter"=>"mysql2", "encoding"=>"utf8", "pool"=>5, "username"=>"root", "password"=>nil, "socket"=>"/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock", "database"=>"proone_test"}, {:charset=>"utf8", :collation=>"utf8_unicode_ci"} (If you set the charset manually, make sure you have a matching collation) [smehsan@localhost proone]$

That says you are trying to connect as user root with no password. Is that what you intended? If not have you got the correct user and pwd in config/database.yml?

Colin

Thank You @colin

But how can i change that and where can i find config/database.yml file?

Please remember to quote the previous message when replying, otherwise no-one knows what you are referring to. This is a mailing list not a forum, though you may be accessing it via a forum-like interface. Thanks.

It is in the config folder in your rails application. Since you did not know that I suggest that you work right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online). That will show you the basics of rails.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1183468:

As I thought, you have specified root and no password as the default, and used that for development. I suggest working through the tutorial, it will save you a lot of time.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1183472:

which tutorial?

Yes, in there you have specified user root with no password, which I presume is not what you intended. To fix it you must use a valid user/pwd for your mysql server.

Colin

which tutorial?

The one in my second (I think) post.

Colin