Error calling Dispatcher.dispatch

Hi,

I created an simple app (I am only learning Ruby on Rails) that I uploaded on my server. While on my computer with Webbrick everything was fine and working, now it is a totally different thing. I can't see anything, the page is blank.

So I checked my routes, but everything was working on Webbrick, so it should not be the routes. Then I deleted my app and created a new one directly on the server. Adding only a home_controller file, a home_helper file and a home folder in the views with a index.html.erb file. The view is simple, just a few lines and a div. But the page is still blank.

I then turned to the logs and I found an error message. Still, I cannot fix it, it seems. Anyway, here is what I found in the "mongrel.log" file :

Thu Aug 16 11:54:21 -0700 2012: Error calling Dispatcher.dispatch #<NoMethodError: private method `split' called for nil:NilClass> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.14/lib/action_controller/cgi_process.rb:52:in `dispatch_cgi' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.14/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:101:in `dispatch_cgi' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.14/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:27:in `dispatch' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/rails.rb:76:in `process' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/rails.rb:74:in `synchronize' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/rails.rb:74:in `process' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:159:in `process_client' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:158:in `each' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:158:in `process_client' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `initialize' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `new' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `initialize' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `new' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:282:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:281:in `each' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:281:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:128:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/../lib/mongrel/command.rb:212:in `run' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:281 /usr/bin/mongrel_rails:23:in `load' /usr/bin/mongrel_rails:23

I don't know what it means. Thank you for helping.

Hi,

I created an simple app (I am only learning Ruby on Rails) that I uploaded on my server. While on my computer with Webbrick everything was fine and working, now it is a totally different thing. I can't see anything, the page is blank.

When you say "your server" is that a server provided by your isp or one that you are managing yourself or what? If you have configured it yourself how have you installed rails and the rest?

Colin

I meant the server I joined. I am not managing it myself, so I don't know the configuration details.

I meant the server I joined. I am not managing it myself, so I don't know the configuration details.

How do you know it is setup for rails then?

I am not sure what you mean by joining a server.

Colin

I registered to Vlexo hosting. In the cPanel, you can create a Rails app, so I know it supports Rails.

I am new to web hosting, sorry if I am not clear enough. Since I am not managing my own server, I don't know all the configuration details nor the way everything was installed.

I suppose that a least some people were able to get their app to work on Vlexo. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

Have you tried asking Vlexo? Ore perhaps they have a forum.

Heroku is considered by many a very good rails hosting supplier, and is free for non-commercial use I believe.

Colin

I already posted my problem on Vlexo Forums, but no one is skilled enough with Ruby or Rails.

I thought that I could get some help on a Ruby forum.