environment issues with apache/fastcgi

ok, i'm running a rails application using apache and fastcgi. this is the second rails application on the box, and we're keeping the two separate with vhosts and fastcgiserver directives. i essentially copied the working application's vhost entry (changed the port, added a ssl certificate), but the new app is not functional.

from everything i can determine, the application starts up in production mode - the fastcgiserver directive has "-initial-env RAILS_ENV=production". but ... when i request a page, the application writes into development.log and complains because it can't connect to the database using development settings.

i've grepped my codebase for any calls to establish_connection, but can find nothing.

anyone?

Lance Ivy wrote:

ok, i'm running a rails application using apache and fastcgi. this is the second rails application on the box, and we're keeping the two separate with vhosts and fastcgiserver directives. i essentially copied the working application's vhost entry (changed the port, added a ssl certificate), but the new app is not functional.

from everything i can determine, the application starts up in production mode - the fastcgiserver directive has "-initial-env RAILS_ENV=production". but ... when i request a page, the application writes into development.log and complains because it can't connect to the database using development settings.

i've grepped my codebase for any calls to establish_connection, but can find nothing.

It might help if you'd show me (us) the "config"... :slight_smile:

Long www.edgesoft.ca/blog/read/2

mmmm, turns out it wouldn't have helped. the culprit was a single missing letter - 'f'. since i was copying another working site, i didn't know to fix the .htaccess to point at dispatch.fcgi instead of dispatch.cgi. gaarrr.

why is dispatch.cgi the default?

Long wrote: